94 Blazer Build Part 2...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slick1

Reaction score
If you indeed have the death wobble I check all my front end bushings and ball joints and then bearings along with play in the steering. I replaced all mine and installed a steering stabilizer for shyts and giggles. Turned out I didnt need it. But mentally makes me feel like it's doing something lol
Sometimes the shine on a new part alone adds a few horsepower lol

Slick1

Reaction score
All shocks are now on.

Oil is everywhere so I really have to figure it out and fix it soon. I found out that my front driver's wheel has a ton of play in it so I have to figure out what's going on there. Ball joint, wheel bearing not sure but I gotta do a little homework to figure out how to diagnose it, and then of course do it.

Still also need to get a ujoint so I can put the front driveshaft back in. Learned last night about how GM liked to put the plastic glue ring in them so if it's stock I guess I'm buying a plumber's torch. Haven't even looked yet so maybe I'll luck out and it'll be an aftermarket one.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
If the death wobble persists after the tires get balanced,it might be the hubs (sealed wheel bearings). But since it's only at certain speeds, that seems more like tires.

Slick1

Reaction score
If the death wobble persists after the tires get balanced,it might be the hubs (sealed wheel bearings). But since it's only at certain speeds, that seems more like tires.
I was really hoping it was just the tires but after seeing how much I could rock the drivers side wheel back and forth when I had it jacked up I have a bigger issue going on. Randomly I ended up talking to this guy I kind of know last night who has a shop and does auto repair on the side for really cheap rates. I'm going to get oil dye today and let it do it's thing until Saturday when I bring it to him to get the wobble diagnosed and see where the oil is coming from.

Slick1

Reaction score
Well I got word back last night from the mechanic and he's diagnosed the death wobble. Turns out it's only EVERYTHING. The entire front end is rotted broken trash without bushings and it's all working together to stick it to me. I knew nothing looked spring fresh up there and that anything resembling a bushing was mostly there for show at this point but I didn't realize every single thing was so shot.

So not sure what I'm going to do. I'm heading into my off season which means I would have time to work on it, but I don't know what I'm doing. This is also the tightest part of the year financially so that's a factor. Silly me thinking I bought a turn key truck. I'm glad I rethought my plans and got a beater Silverado because I was going to tow a trailer with the Blazer and rely on it for my business daily. Boy would I be saying some stuff right now if my livelihood was on the line over this... :flame:

The ironic part is I never had plans to wheel her because I've learned my lesson breaking parts in the woods and am over it. She was supposed to be a retired badass who only required regular maintenance and cosmetic stuff. Instead my mechanic is telling me that him and his helper were so blown away by how shot everything was they never even got to locating the oil leak.

If it sounds like I complain a lot it's because when it comes to vehicles I do :jester:

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I hear ya! I got in that situation last year of having a new to me truck that was allegedly in better shape than it actually was. For the price, I knew it was far from perfect, but when you buy something that has functional AC, and it's not functioning for long, and it's August in Houston, Texas, that's not fun.
And then when the reason it's losing trans fluid is because it's fixing to lose the trans, that's not fun either. I'm not mad at the friend I got it from, more at their family's"mechanic" who inspected it and gave it a clean bill of health ( to the guy's mom no less!). They own a lot of property in the small town in south Texas where the truck was kept, and I suspect that nobody wanted to get on the wrong side of the landlords.

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would get the wheels balanced and go from there, or source a good radial set up... The previous setups I had (35" Mud Grapplers and 315 Dick Cepeks), balanced properly gave me no sort of wobbling or vibration what so ever, untill I got those bias ply Super Swampers. Did a round trip upstate and back on the 315"s and rode perfect.
Are you sure this mechanic "you kind of know" isn't just trying to get you to spend money you don't need to? Maybe just start with the tires and also do upper + lower ball joints then see where you're at.

Slick1

Reaction score
I would get the wheels balanced and go from there, or source a good radial set up... The previous setups I had (35" Mud Grapplers and 315 Dick Cepeks), balanced properly gave me no sort of wobbling or vibration what so ever, untill I got those bias ply Super Swampers. Did a round trip upstate and back on the 315"s and rode perfect.
Are you sure this mechanic "you kind of know" isn't just trying to get you to spend money you don't need to? Maybe just start with the tires and also do upper + lower ball joints then see where you're at.

He does this as a side hustle. He's not thrilled to have to do it all and told me it will most likely be an hour or two here and there spread out over a week or two. I actually got the impression he was hoping I'd take it somewhere else to be done. He might get his wish too cause I'm going to see what's involved and if it looks doable I'll probably do it. He's a good dude though and is really fair on what he charges, tries to help everyone out. Any shop would charge easily double what he would.

Plus the tire balance being the issue went out the window when I could physically rock the wheel all over the place when jacked up. It still needs to be done but it's the least of the problem. It may have played into wearing everything out faster/more though.
"Turn key trucks" now cost $35,000-100,000.

You bought a '94. Expect it to be worn out.
You're not wrong but I had reason to believe otherwise with it which is why I am disappointed. I would have replaced it all at some point anyway when I had the money to throw at it just to update it, but being forced to do it so soon after buying it just to keep it on the road is a serious bummer.