94 Blazer Build Part 2...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slick1

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

And here's why I don't have a picture of the new one installed. So the passenger side went relatively smoothly and I had no reason to doubt the driver's wouldn't, guess I picked the wrong time to be optimistic in life. Bottom mount bolt using my foot method went nice and smooth. Inside top bolt no issues, outside one almost there.... POP. Broke the clip on top. I then spent a few hours trying to get the stupid clip to stay in place so I could at least remove the bolt. I went and bought a tiny c clamp and some channel locks to try to pinch what was left of the clip in place. No luck. Of course this thing is inches from the gas tank so that makes cutting a little more involved. I was picking up tools by flashlight and the thought of taking a pic of the installed one slipped my mind lol.

Last edited:

Slick1

Reaction score
Ok snagged a pic of the installed shock

And here's a picture of my day. Between how tight it was in general and how close it is to the gas tank I wasn't going to take any chances with a Sawzall or even my Dremel. Got the smallest hack saw I could find and got to work. This is of course after 2 hours of varying success with an 11/16 just grabbing the broken clip enough to get a 1/4 turn every few minutes. It was so close to being off and so close to letting me spin it I just wanted to try but I just wasted my time. Completely rounded out the clip it turns out so that's why it stopped working. This bolt was the bane of my existence.

And now I have a new bane of my existence. Whoever put the shocks on when the lift was done cranked the ever loving hell out of them and bent the bottom bracket. I had to "finesse" it with my foot and a pipe wrench to flare them out enough. That plus somehow the metal insert inside the poly bushing seemed a hair long. So right now the top bolts are hand tight and the shock is sitting in the bracket. It's a hair off and I can't feed the bolt through the bottom or I'd be done right now. I had to use a rubber mallet to get it where it is too so there's no room to maneuver. I have a 10" extension that fits in the hole but I can't nudge it straight. Literally the only thing keeping me from being done and back on the road.

Slick1

Reaction score
After fighting the shock out of the bracket on the bottom (and I mean FOUGHT, I probably could have driven the thing for how tight it was) I realized the issue was the metal tube in the bushing was too small. I checked it against every other tube and it's the only one that narrow so either it shouldn't have been in there or it's defective. I can't imagine why one single one would be like that so unless one of the fronts is different than the other front it's of no use. Another strike against Superlift.

Fronts are waiting for me to get a jack that goes high enough to lift the truck. Does anyone know if the center piece with the Superlift logo is safe to jack on? The part circled in red

Also after being under it for extended periods of time and seeing all the rust I'm really thinking about just taking the time and cleaning and painting everything little by little. I still have to put the front driveshaft back in but while I have it out I think I'm going to clean and paint that. I have some Oxalic Acid that's great for removing rust so I might soak it in that for a a day or two.

Last edited:

Suburban1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After fighting the shock out of the bracket on the bottom (and I mean FOUGHT, I probably could have driven the thing for how tight it was) I realized the issue was the metal tube in the bushing was too small. I checked it against every other tube and it's the only one that narrow so either it shouldn't have been in there or it's defective. I can't imagine why one single one would be like that so unless one of the fronts is different than the other front it's of no use. Another strike against Superlift.

Fronts are waiting for me to get a jack that goes high enough to lift the truck. Does anyone know if the center piece with the Superlift logo is safe to jack on? The part circled in red

Also after being under it for extended periods of time and seeing all the rust I'm really thinking about just taking the time and cleaning and painting everything little by little. I still have to put the front driveshaft back in but while I have it out I think I'm going to clean and pain that. I have some Oxalic Acid that's great for removing rust so I might soak it in that for a a day or two.
Yes you can put the jack in that area, just have to make sure it's sitting where it wont slip. I did it like that when I put the wheels and tires on. On another note, I didn't realize Superlift was so horrible with their shocks! Had I known, I would have ordered Bilsteins or something of the like...well, when I get another 2dr in the future i'll know what shocks to avoid.

Slick1

Reaction score
Yes you can put the jack in that area, just have to make sure it's sitting where it wont slip. I did it like that when I put the wheels and tires on. On another note, I didn't realize Superlift was so horrible with their shocks! Had I known, I would have ordered Bilsteins or something of the like...well, when I get another 2dr in the future i'll know what shocks to avoid.

Bilsteins are what I would have ordered but I don't think there's anything wrong with Superlift's shocks themselves. Their lifts are rated well too, it just seems to be their customer service that sucks. Now that I know I can jack on that piece it means I don't have to get picky with jacks so that's a big plus!

I just put new Rancho's on the rear of my 94 blazer. Your gonna hate me for this, I did it on my lunch break.

If it wasn't for the broken clip and then the wrong size bushing tube it would have been done in a fraction of the time. :banghead:

reservoir dog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fwiw, the Rancho's were new takeoffs from a 2021 Chevy trail boss. $50 for the pair, they were the exact length compressed and extended as the ones I removed. I just had to press the tee bar into the top bushing. Got them off ebay.

Slick1

Reaction score
Fwiw, the Rancho's were new takeoffs from a 2021 Chevy trail boss. $50 for the pair, they were the exact length compressed and extended as the ones I removed. I just had to press the tee bar into the top bushing. Got them off ebay.
Good deal! How bad was pressing that bar in on top? The squared off flat portions looked like they wouldn't be fun. Pressing the poly bushings and metal tubes was way easier than I thought it would be though. Super Lube and my bare hands for the bushing, put a flat wrench across the tube and pressed that in with my hands too.