92 to 98 Dash Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Niolin

Reaction score
I have a 92 diesel C3500HD w/ the 5 speed. I purchased a 1998 C1500 with a busted 4.3 V6 for a few pennies and my intention is to swap nearly the entire interior across. There are several threads on this, but I wanted to bring specific attention to a couple of things that may be unique to my situation and get people's thoughts before I dive in to the conversion.

The 3500 does not have A/C (though the Craigslist motor I got for it has a working compressor mounted). I was going to swap all the A/C components I could over, and it looks like I'll have to source the compressor lines but everything else should swap across (condenser, evaporator, etc). Is there anything special I should be looking at here? I think I'll have to make some holes in the firewall for the evaporator, are those marked at all on the inside where I'll be drilling or is it going to be some guesswork?

The 3500 has **** HVAC controls, they don't adjust all the way from defrost to upper vents. I intend to swap the entire air box and everything related from the 1500. Anyone foresee trouble here or is it going to be pretty simple?

The 1500 is an automatic, so I won't be able to use the steering column or the instrument cluster; I've seen some pics from folks who did this swap and left their old column in place, I suppose I could do the same and also with the cluster, until I can find manual diesel versions of these parts available somewhere.

Do I use the fuse box from the 98 or will I be able to mount the 92's fuse box in the replacement dash?

Are there any other gotchas that people can think of that I'm missing?

I intend to document the process fairly thoroughly, but I won't be starting for a few weeks yet so I'm hoping for a bit of discussion before I start :).

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 3500 does not have A/C (though the Craigslist motor I got for it has a working compressor mounted). I was going to swap all the A/C components I could over, and it looks like I'll have to source the compressor lines but everything else should swap across (condenser, evaporator, etc). Is there anything special I should be looking at here?

Make sure there's a corresponding slot in the radiator support for the AC lines to pass from the engine compartment, through and to the condenser which will reside in front of the radiator. My guess is "it's there" but it never hurts to check, now.

Too, check that there are, or you can install / borrow / retrofit, the support brackets for the condenser (i.e., if they happen to be separate from those used for the radiator and not already present). Note: I've replaced one condenser on a GMT400 and I don't have an image of the brackets committed to memory.

Make sure any donor AC parts from the other truck are clean, clean, clean inside. If the oil you drain from the old parts, or orifice tube screen, shows evidence of any debris, or there's oil discoloration, I would toss the condenser and consider doing the same for the evaporator (considering that evaporators are a pain to replace, installing a new one may be prudent in either case). In fact, budget permitting, I would be inclined to toss both and install new.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 92 diesel C3500HD w/ the 5 speed. I purchased a 1998 C1500 with a busted 4.3 V6 for a few pennies and my intention is to swap nearly the entire interior across. There are several threads on this, but I wanted to bring specific attention to a couple of things that may be unique to my situation and get people's thoughts before I dive in to the conversion.

The 3500 does not have A/C (though the Craigslist motor I got for it has a working compressor mounted). I was going to swap all the A/C components I could over, and it looks like I'll have to source the compressor lines but everything else should swap across (condenser, evaporator, etc). Is there anything special I should be looking at here? I think I'll have to make some holes in the firewall for the evaporator, are those marked at all on the inside where I'll be drilling or is it going to be some guesswork?

The 3500 has **** HVAC controls, they don't adjust all the way from defrost to upper vents. I intend to swap the entire air box and everything related from the 1500. Anyone foresee trouble here or is it going to be pretty simple?

The 1500 is an automatic, so I won't be able to use the steering column or the instrument cluster; I've seen some pics from folks who did this swap and left their old column in place, I suppose I could do the same and also with the cluster, until I can find manual diesel versions of these parts available somewhere.

Do I use the fuse box from the 98 or will I be able to mount the 92's fuse box in the replacement dash?

Are there any other gotchas that people can think of that I'm missing?

I intend to document the process fairly thoroughly, but I won't be starting for a few weeks yet so I'm hoping for a bit of discussion before I start :).
Make a template from the donor truck firewall for the evap holes. Locate your template using the holes for the HVAC box mounting, so the holes you make for the evap will be "registered" by them since they are all for the same assembly.

Nothing stopping you from using the automatic column; you can simply unbolt the shift mechanism from it to get it out of your way. You'll have the hole in the column plastics.. but IMO it would look better than the old style column mismatch with the new dash.

One gotcha on the column is if you are indeed a 3500HD (15K GVWR) the steering shaft is longer and mating the two takes a little hacking. I did this when using a '96 column on a '94 HD. I took a few different shafts and chopped/welded to get what I needed. Got to plan this out so you retain the collapsible shaft feature in case of a front end crash.

For the column and dash swap, drill the spot welds and swap the column support brackets for best results.

Nothing stopping you from using the automatic dash cluster either.. except the tach won't work (gas vs. diesel)

Make plans on chopping out the passenger A-pillar section from the donor so you can score the bracket for the grab handle. Make templates for locating that one too; there are some trim holes above and below that will locate it properly for you since the fit of handle/trim needs to be very close. It's easy.

Richard

Niolin

Reaction score
One gotcha on the column is if you are indeed a 3500HD (15K GVWR) the steering shaft is longer and mating the two takes a little hacking. I did this when using a '96 column on a '94 HD. I took a few different shafts and chopped/welded to get what I needed. Got to plan this out so you retain the collapsible shaft feature in case of a front end crash.
Yessir, 15k, I beam king pin front axle, Dana 80 rear. I'd seen reference that the HD had a different column but this didn't make a ton of sense to me since pretty much everything else in the cab is generic GMT400, so I really do appreciate the heads up. I'll be referring back to this post several times during my swap, I think; all of your suggestions will be extremely helpful.

I'll almost certainly use the 98 column in this case now that you've told me that the shifter comes off easily enough, but not the dash. I don't want to lose the glow plugs light, tach, water in fuel, etc. I could do a diesel automatic cluster (can find those on eBay easily enough), but every time I'd look down at my speed, the PRND321 would be there, laughing at me....

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Lots of 95-up diesel trucks made with manual trans, you should be able to find the cluster you need. Making the old style cluster fit the new dash gonna be next to impossible.

Richard

Niolin

Reaction score
Ah well I wasn't planning on trying to make it fit, more of just seeing if I can put it in place just enough to be visible, supported by wires or something. I dunno. Or I'll go without until I can get the right cluster.

RedneckWithPaychecks

454/350 x (4x4)²
Reaction score
I have a 95-96 non passenger airbag facelift dash in my 89, along with power leather bench with flip down console from a 97-99 truck. I did not do the swap and I think I have a new fuse box, all new wiring, and door panels from a 1996 Sierra. Just be aware also that a 97+ dash has a passenger air bag