Dash swap 98

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Interesting. I've had a lot of these trucks apart but never knew the 97 used that module for the EVO. I guess in a way it's an early "BCM" of sorts though I'm reluctant to use that term for it as it's probably giving it too much credit. For 98's Passlock purposes, GM refers to it as the "TDM" (theft deterrent module) and the diagnostic info I've seen posted does seem to claim the TDM is part of the BCM but I don't know if that's GM's technical name for it.

Richard
Well I can tell you the only "BCM" ever used in the GMT400 trucks were in the uplevel Tahoe, Yukon, and Escalade, and did not contain the passlock system. Further still, an identical in all but part number BCM is used in the 98-02ish Camaro and Corvette, and contains programming for passKEY. But this was never used on the 400s as they all kept the separate TDM/EVO module.

Ryan42901

Reaction score
I'm starting to think the parts trucki got these front was a 98 but idk he said it was a 97 and all so I'm confused

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm starting to think the parts trucki got these front was a 98 but idk he said it was a 97 and all so I'm confused
The module we're talking about - the black plastic box with the green socket, sits inside the lower part of the dash roughly in the area above the driver's right foot. The module that you have connected right now, is it from your original 1998 dash, or it was already there in the dash you just swapped in?

If it's not the original one, move it over from your original dash.

Richard

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
I"d guess that even if a 1998 or later evo/passlock module can be found or is already installed, a 1997 wire harness would still be missing three wires.

At the connector for the module in a 1997 there should only be 10 wires, a 1998 and later should have 13 wires (the three added wires for 1998 and later are, one wire to the IP cluster for the security lamp output , two wires to the column for the key sensor).

Looks like the 10 wires otherwise remain unchanged for 1997 1998 etc.

Here is a 1997 diagram with the connector numbers/wire colors/description.

The 1998 connector info can be found here at 8A-202-31
(Page 849 of 1404 in my PDF viewer)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/349oznxcao93g3d/1998_GMT-98_CK-1_SERVICE_MANUAL-VOLUME_1_of_4.pdf

The 1998 manual above came from here.

More 1997 diagrams can be found here.

The OP should note that the PCM is disabling the injectors, not the fuel pump. Might be better off having the passlock removed/turned off from the computers program.

The link above is not a reference, just one example of how it could possibly be done/removed.

Best of luck.

Not that is matters, but oddly enough, from what I can tell, even though 1997 didn't have theft deterrent/passlock, the IP fuse might be labeled "security".

Cazimiro

Reaction score
I have a 98 chevy k1500 I and doing a dash swap I put a 96 dash in with 97 harness because I can not fine a 98 harness mine was melted and cut up from old owner so I am using a 97 it will start for a second then die I tried to run a constant 12v power to the pump but it still does the same think idk what yo do has anyone done one of these if so can someone please help me I really want my truck back
It’s the bat module u have to use your own from your truck, it’s a little box that sits just right over the cigarette lighter, I hope haven’t got rid of your dash because if you did u are going to have to reprogram the one on the new dashboard.the same thing happened to me and it took me about five hrs to figured it out, luckily for I still had my old dash in the back of my truck swapped it and my truck started right up that is is your pro.