Swapped my 98 tahoe dash...now it doesnt run! HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

builtofficial

Reaction score
I searched around but I couldn't find this specific problem
I've got a 98 2 door tahoe I've been restoring and I just finished swapping out the dash. Pre dash swap truck ran great and I had it gone through at a local a local shop, everything good. After swapping the dash the truck starts runs for a second and dies. All switches, gauges, radio etc work.
I don't even know where to start

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Passlock antitheft system kicking in. 1998 is first year for it, and that is its behavior 100%

You changed the TDM (theft deterrent module) along with the dash, I'll guess. If you still have your old dash, grab that module, black plastic about the size of a cigarette pack, bright green socket on it - it's roughly above the driver's right knee, behind the DRL diode (finned aluminum heat sink) and swap it out. Or you can do a security relearn.

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Follow up, trucks running great and no more cracked dash! Thank you for such a quick reply
You must be registered for see images attach
That's a "been there done that" scenario for me, what drove me nuts was the "security" light on the dash had a burned out bulb so I never saw it come on. Truck would start then stall.

Richard

rayesquedasr

Reaction score
I searched around but I couldn't find this specific problem
I've got a 98 2 door tahoe I've been restoring and I just finished swapping out the dash. Pre dash swap truck ran great and I had it gone through at a local a local shop, everything good. After swapping the dash the truck starts runs for a second and dies. All switches, gauges, radio etc work.
I don't even know where to start
Have you checked the security if you disconnect the battery your passlock security system activated might have to do relearn