Dash swap 98

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ryan42901

Reaction score
I have a 98 chevy k1500 I and doing a dash swap I put a 96 dash in with 97 harness because I can not fine a 98 harness mine was melted and cut up from old owner so I am using a 97 it will start for a second then die I tried to run a constant 12v power to the pump but it still does the same think idk what yo do has anyone done one of these if so can someone please help me I really want my truck back

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Passlock antitheft is doing its job, 1998 is first year for it, you didn't notice when you installed the 1997 harness that you have a module it didn't have a connection for? Black plastic about the size of a pack of smokes, green socket...

Richard

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Passlock antitheft is doing its job, 1998 is first year for it, you didn't notice when you installed the 1997 harness that you have a module it didn't have a connection for? Black plastic about the size of a pack of smokes, green socket...

Richard

Ahhh a pack of smokes. Back When men were men and we used fire to light our cancer sticks and our trucks were built to last. Reds in a soft pack fit nice on the gauge bezel in a 88-94 dash.

Anyways yes it’s the passlock. Prob going to need it tuned out of the ecm.

Ryan42901

Reaction score
I went back and looked it was not plugged in I just plugged it in and it is doing same thing

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
98+ uses a single module to run both passlock and the variable steering pressure control, BUT 97 also has the variable steering so 97+ wiring will have a connector for it. The modules look identical and use the same connectors, but the 97 model lacks the passlock system and has a different part number. You cannot use a 97 module with a 98+ truck that has passlock enabled.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
98+ uses a single module to run both passlock and the variable steering pressure control, BUT 97 also has the variable steering so 97+ wiring will have a connector for it. The modules look identical and use the same connectors, but the 97 model lacks the passlock system and has a different part number. You cannot use a 97 module with a 98+ truck that has passlock enabled.
Interesting. I've had a lot of these trucks apart but never knew the 97 used that module for the EVO. I guess in a way it's an early "BCM" of sorts though I'm reluctant to use that term for it as it's probably giving it too much credit. For 98's Passlock purposes, GM refers to it as the "TDM" (theft deterrent module) and the diagnostic info I've seen posted does seem to claim the TDM is part of the BCM but I don't know if that's GM's technical name for it.

Richard