92 to 98 Dash Conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm actually swapping the entire doors across; the paint on the HD is in really rough shape and I can't stand the "West Coast" mirrors.

Thanks for the double-check, though! I do appreciate it.

Cool. Wanna sell the mirror delete panels?

Niolin

Reaction score
One gotcha on the column is if you are indeed a 3500HD (15K GVWR) the steering shaft is longer and mating the two takes a little hacking. I did this when using a '96 column on a '94 HD. I took a few different shafts and chopped/welded to get what I needed. Got to plan this out so you retain the collapsible shaft feature in case of a front end crash.

For the column and dash swap, drill the spot welds and swap the column support brackets for best results.
Richard,

I finally dove into this swap this week as I'm off work and the weather is nice. I'm reading what you wrote here and I'm looking at the two columns and I can't make what you wrote jive with what I see. I can't imagine any way I could chop and weld these in such a way that it'll retain the crush mechanism. In fact I can't imagine how you managed to Frankenstein these together at all. Is there any chance you documented this in any way?

Thanks,

Will

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Richard,

I finally dove into this swap this week as I'm off work and the weather is nice. I'm reading what you wrote here and I'm looking at the two columns and I can't make what you wrote jive with what I see. I can't imagine any way I could chop and weld these in such a way that it'll retain the crush mechanism. In fact I can't imagine how you managed to Frankenstein these together at all. Is there any chance you documented this in any way?

Thanks,

Will
If you don't have a bunch of various columns around to chop up like I did, you can get parts - probably best to search Speedway or possibly Flaming River's site. Making a sleeve out of the outer double-D shaft to bridge a gap between two chopped intermediate shafts, welded at one end so it can collapse if needed but stay fully engaged when in normal operation. I do believe there are also plastic tabs inside the column housing that break and absorb some of the impact/movement in event of a crash, wihich is why a column from a front end crash truck is not a good donor.

Or to really be sure you've got the OEM-designed crash protection in place, get a column from a 1995-up 3500HD. I didn't have one at the time so I made do with parts on hand.

Richard

Niolin

Reaction score
Air conditioning is such a royal pain in the ass.

Did anyone else know that in '94 Chevy switched from standard to metric threads on all the a/c components? I had been really hoping that all I would have to purchase for this truck would be the compressor suction and discharge manifold hoses, but noooo, those won't actually fit the accumulator and condenser. And nobody seems to make adapters.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Air conditioning is such a royal pain in the ass.

Did anyone else know that in '94 Chevy switched from standard to metric threads on all the a/c components? I had been really hoping that all I would have to purchase for this truck would be the compressor suction and discharge manifold hoses, but noooo, those won't actually fit the accumulator and condenser. And nobody seems to make adapters.

Believe it or not, never really paid attention. 1994 is also when the trucks switched to R134a so it makes sense other details about the system might change, too.

Richard