91 suburban still Dead in the water no pulse at injectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Keep in mind guy's, this is an OBD1 ECM, and any codes can be pulled with a paper clip. Since I haven't had an OBD1 system in well over 10 years, I'm not sure what kind of system readers are available for this system. Is there a live date reader for OBD1? Where you at @PlayingWithTBI

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Keep in mind guy's, this is an OBD1 ECM, and any codes can be pulled with a paper clip. Since I haven't had an OBD1 system in well over 10 years, I'm not sure what kind of system readers are available for this system. Is there a live date reader for OBD1? Where you at @PlayingWithTBI
A Snap on brick will read data on OBD1

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My snap on solus edge will read obd1. They are out there just have to look.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
IDK what a Snap on brick is. Maybe you can order snap on products on line, IDK, but I do know that back when, snap on was only available from a snap on truck. Not something everyone has access to. Not to mention, snap on is the most high dollar tools out there, or at least they used to be.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There are cheap computer interfaces to read those. I kept an adapter in console on mine just in case. Just need to verify ecm is getting the right signals and go from there

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
IDK what a Snap on brick is. Maybe you can order snap on products on line, IDK, but I do know that back when, snap on was only available from a snap on truck. Not something everyone has access to. Not to mention, snap on is the most high dollar tools out there, or at least they used to be.
It is the long discontinued MT2500

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are cheap computer interfaces to read those. I kept an adapter in console on mine just in case. Just need to verify ecm is getting the right signals and go from there
Got ya. Like I said, I have fools with OBD1 in 10 plus years.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there a live date reader for OBD1?
Many.
That's what I used for 20 years.
There's a wide variety of Snap-On scan tools, used, on eBay, pawn shops, and Craigslist.

All of mine have come from eBay. Most recent cost me $350 shipped to my door.

I keep NOT working up the gumption to create a scan-tool thread with my current unit. But there's a thread* on another forum that details what can be had from my '88 K1500 using the latest version of the Snappy Red Brick (MTG2500, similar to the MT2500)

For the record, the MT2500 was released in 1988. They're ancient. Nice thing about them is that the software is written on replaceable cartridges; updating to newer/different software is as simple as yanking one cartridge out, and slapping in a different one. Much like changing magazines in a semi-auto pistol.

Less-ancient scan tools do more things on newer vehicles. The MT/MTG2500 series were state-of-the-aftermarket art in the late '80s; but they're wildly outclassed today; and the newest software available was released in 2009--and that's rare. I've never seen a software cartridge that new. My machine only went from 1980 1/2 to 2006, using two cartridges. I never did have early Asian software, or any European at all. My newer machine does have decent Asian and some European coverage, which I've never used.

*THIS THREAD, starting at Post #14; but the earlier posts are kinda humorous. The photos are there, if you aren't seeing them, it's likely due to an ad-blocker or some such on your computer.
www.automotiveforums.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1146067

Last edited:

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Knowing these truck's immense ability to mask a bad ground for a wide variety of ills I am naturally suspicious of a ground issue somewhere. Also the fuel pump is a real possibility. Do you hear it "priming" when you turn the key? Have you checked fuel pressure? I think I would start there and if the fuel pump is PROVEN to be ok then start chasing grounds.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where you at @PlayingWithTBI
As mentioned above, the "Red Brick" is probably the most popular among professionals and is readily available since most folks in the business have upgraded to newer Snappy versions like the Solus Pro and Solus Ultra which is now no longer supported as of 01/2022.

For an alternate option with a laptop, there's TunerPro RT and an ALDL cable for data logging, and the Moates Burn2 for programming and flashing chips. In this case the ECM will have to be modified to accept a flash chip for modifying/programming the .bin. There are emulators available too but, that's a different story.

As an example, if you have the 1227747 ECM you'll need the coinciding $42 .adx mask file for it too. Anyway, TunerPro RT is free (with a suggested contribution), the ALDL cable is ~$60 and, with some reading and practice, you're in business for data logging, while driving around, as long as you want.

www.tunerpro.net/

www.aldlcable.com/

Here's some info about the different ECM/PCMs used in our trucks as well as other cars including wiring diagrams, etc.

www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/forumdisplay.php?20-GM-ECM-Bins-TunerPro-Definition-Files-Wiring-Diagrams-Tuner-Info

Here's an example of your 12 pin OBDI connector and what pins do what. For example, if you want to test your A.I.R. Diverter, simply ground pin "C".
You must be registered for see images attach

Here's an example of a data log screen in TunerPro RT

Here's a data stream from TunerPro RT showing O2 sensor, RPM, MPH, CTS, Knock Counts, INT, BLM, IAC, and TPS all at the same time. You can adjust the time frame of the scan to drill down to where your issue(s) is happening. In your case, turn on the scan and try cranking the engine for a while, then look at the data to see if you're getting RPM feedback as well as other sensors.

Just another option of many, HTH :waytogo: