91 suburban still Dead in the water no pulse at injectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
pressure reading is only been done by turning of the key or remote starter button to turn the engine over and that is between 12 and 15 psi
Wired things happen from time to time, and they can eat your lunch, when your trying to figure things out. I have a friend that was having a similar issue, with his truck. Not to say that this is your issue, but, after tring a bunch of other things, he finally decides to replace his fuel filter. After that, the truck was fixed, so, he cuts the old filter open. He finds a dead bee, inside. The bee, would get sucked up into the output hole, blocking off the flow of gas. Point is, sometimes its not the obvious. Simply, your truck is starving for fuel, from what I have read. I am not there to run test myself, so all I can do is say this. Do your research into what all controls your fuel delivery. IMO, that's where your issue is. I haven't had an OBD1 vehicle in well over 10 years, so I don't remember all of the little in's and outs, but I do know this. Not every sensor controls fuel delivery.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If fuel pump goes whirrr like it’s supposed to when I turned the key on to prime. I do smell gas every once in a while it’s almost like a she dribbles during the prime but no pulse after that and I’ve got a rotation of four batteries standing by just to keep turning the motor over. I have gone through and I ground (As in with a grinder or polisher with an abrasive head) the frame and sheet metal. sheet metal to the frame, frame is sheet metal everywhere it shows me in the book where the ground or where the splices are. I’ve gone back and inspected all of my solder joints have removed and replaced with egad butt spices and quality white cap crimps which the wires are then down together with zip ties then wrapped in tape then covered with heat shrink. And after all that I cover it with loom.I don’t build it to tear it back apart but every time I make it Purdy I got a rip the **** back out, never fails.

I really don’t know what you speak of when you say grounding of fuses. Really time I’ve ever grounded A fuse it would pop. I really don’t know what you speak of when you say grounding ffuses. But yes I have a test light connected to ground and checked all of my fuses and circuit breakers (thank you) and all are good. I have 15 fuses that’s not what I was speaking of. I was speaking of the code it was flashing at me was a 12 every time I ever hooked it up it was a 12 not 12 fuses OK thank you. I have checked the ECM for the crank and it does receive the crank signal at the purple with white stripe wire. I have taken connectors of the distributor off and I have taken readings at its PIN. they are all light up or blink or flash or what you. They all illuminate my test light N some different fashions they all have power. They are doing something like that supposed to all but one action, obviously. I'll check the wash from the distributor to the ECM make sure I had continuity on each wire. I've got a tone generator, to shoot sound/tone through and trace them out. I have a tool that will hunt down and locate a short for you. It will even test the component with Power to it if you so desire. That one kind of risky. It makes me nervous really. I don't use it that much unless I am absolutely sure what that wire goes to. Or looking at the component to be tested.
You replied, as I was typing. As for fuel pressure, you have to test that with a fuel pressure gauge. You can not trust what you hear in the tank. Electronic fuel pumps, get weak in time, and do not deliver the proper fuel pressure. I have had this issue many times with my 97 5.7L. Vortecs are very sensitive to fuel pressure. Of you have less than 60 PSI on a Vortec, ( pre start), you're going to have issues.

Ed Hardy

Reaction score
Wired things happen from time to time, and they can eat your lunch, when your trying to figure things out. I have a friend that was having a similar issue, with his truck. Not to say that this is your issue, but, after tring a bunch of other things, he finally decides to replace his fuel filter. After that, the truck was fixed, so, he cuts the old filter open. He finds a dead bee, inside. The bee, would get sucked up into the output hole, blocking off the flow of gas. Point is, sometimes its not the obvious. Simply, your truck is starving for fuel, from what I have read. I am not there to run test myself, so all I can do is say this. Do your research into what all controls your fuel delivery. IMO, that's where your issue is. I haven't had an OBD1 vehicle in well over 10 years, so I don't remember all of the little in's and outs, but I do know this. Not every sensor controls fuel delivery.
I have fuel Ive washed the cylinders several times just checking and rechecking to make sure I have an ample supply petrol coming to the back of the throttlebody. A bee in the fuel filter WTH now that is a strange one. There's a joke somewhere in that but apparently my humor isnt funny within this crowd so I'm not gonna try. No I pour my concoction gasoline a little bit of Motor oil and a shot of starter fluid. I'll mix together in a squirt bottled and shoot it down her gullet. She far is up just long enough the burn off that mix wow that's happening the fuel pressure gauge goes up oil pressure gauge goes up I just don't have a pulse and I'm digging and digging!

Ed Hardy

Reaction score
You replied, as I was typing. As for fuel pressure, you have to test that with a fuel pressure gauge. You can not trust what you hear in the tank. Electronic fuel pumps, get weak in time, and do not deliver the proper fuel pressure. I have had this issue many times with my 97 5.7L. Vortecs are very sensitive to fuel pressure. Of you have less than 60 PSI on a Vortec, ( pre start), you're going to have issues.
I have a gauge mounted in line at/on throttlebody for fuel and Oil at the oil pressure fuel pump safety switch.
You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have fuel Ive washed the cylinders several times just checking and rechecking to make sure I have an ample supply petrol coming to the back of the throttlebody. A bee in the fuel filter WTH now that is a strange one. There's a joke somewhere in that but apparently my humor isnt funny within this crowd so I'm not gonna try. No I pour my concoction gasoline a little bit of Motor oil and a shot of starter fluid. I'll mix together in a squirt bottled and shoot it down her gullet. She far is up just long enough the burn off that mix wow that's happening the fuel pressure gauge goes up oil pressure gauge goes up I just don't have a pulse and I'm digging and digging!
Yeah, see, that screams, it's starving for fuel, IMO. The more RPMs the more fuel the engine needs. I'm not saying, that your not getting fuel, your just not getting enough fuel. Is there any kind of alarm system on the truck? Sometimes they are set to kill the fuel pump relay.

Ed Hardy

Reaction score
Now see you're the first one to say something in regards to the high pressure end of this throttlebody. when I rebuilt my old one (multiple times) my fuel pressure regulator spring was 58 to 62 pound Spring. It was also different than any color of any rebuild kit. Canadian built, it was original install by the factory. But even with that said I still only yes 14-16 PSI. Now that's back with the truck was running with the old throttlebody. This one ive yet to be able to test drive

Ed Hardy

Reaction score
Send money or just mail me yours. Ill send it back when I get her to blast off. Just saying. I've already admitted that I'm flat broke

Ed Hardy

Reaction score
Yeah, see, that screams, it's starving for fuel, IMO. The more RPMs the more fuel the engine needs. I'm not saying, that your not getting fuel, your just not getting enough fuel. Is there any kind of alarm system on the truck? Sometimes they are set to kill the fuel pump relay.
No there's no alarm. Ive been over every square inch of this young lady. I have touched and traced every wire and I've looked at every box. get your mind out of the gutter. she was running strong. Hi installed 12 gauge it including GPS Speedo and tachometer and a new consul. I buttoned everything up, put the last screw and the dashboard, turned the key she powered up all the gauges calibrated and she ran good strong as always. And was moving the stuff off my round her to toolboxes why not Factor in the driveway to finish doing the wet sanding of the hood area finish painting it up and then she died. She didn't fart or burp, say whoa, please, no Mas, nothing just running-DEAD just that quick without no stumble. Like she was running out of fuel no it was truly electrical taking a ****. I've only had one of the car die exactly like this one did and that's when the hot lead from the battery to the starter melted onto the header on my 68 goat. Running 70 to 80 miles an hour down the highway……. Dead. At least this time I was in the shop in park. I looked for all the usual shine there was no melted wire there was no smell to the ECU there was no burnt smell of wires anywhere except for my stereo system. It didn't smell burnt It just smelled like, hot, warm from really using you'r stereo like you built it to do. The truck wouldn't start but the stereo still plays on. At Least I have tunes right!? I've gone through have redone all those solder joints…..