91 GMC 2500 died, fuel in the feed line, not getting to injectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jwill000

Reaction score
blow compressed air through the supply line to see if it is blocked.
blew with my mouth, zero resistance
It'll tell you whether there's an RPM signal, which divides the problem areas in half, so you can focus on the proper parts.

If the computer has an RPM signal, it should know to fire the injectors. Problem is Computer, or downstream from the computer to the injectors. If the computer does not have an RPM signal, problem is upstream from the computer--distributor or wire harness to the computer.

it just flashes 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12

so what is that? is that code 12 or just it saying there are no codes? or that obd1 port is a crappy way to diagnose issues?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it just flashes 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12 12

so what is that? is that code 12 or just it saying there are no codes? or that obd1 port is a crappy way to diagnose issues?

12 means "No Distributor Reference". When you see that, you know your ECM/PCM is working and communicating through the ALDL
"12" is a code. As said, it's the code for "No distributor reference", which would be totally normal since the engine isn't running, therefore the distributor isn't moving, and therefore there's no signal being generated. It's how GM allows you to know that the system is working. The OBD1 port is a WONDERFUL way to diagnose issues related to the computer, sensors, and general engine running/driveability--IF (big IF) you have the proper tools to make use of the OBD1 connector. A paper-clip is NOT a proper tool. The amount of info available through a paper-clip or code-reader is not even 1/10 of what's available with a more sophisticated tool.

Stop looking at "codes" (which can be useful, but not this time) and start looking at the data stream...what does the computer say is the engine RPM during cranking? You need a SCAN TOOL, not a crappy "code reader" or paper-clip.

Jwill000

Reaction score
"12" is a code. As said, it's the code for "No distributor reference", which would be totally normal since the engine isn't running, therefore the distributor isn't moving, and therefore there's no signal being generated. It's how GM allows you to know that the system is working. The OBD1 port is a WONDERFUL way to diagnose issues related to the computer, sensors, and general engine running/driveability--IF (big IF) you have the proper tools to make use of the OBD1 connector. A paper-clip is NOT a proper tool. The amount of info available through a paper-clip or code-reader is not even 1/10 of what's available with a more sophisticated tool.

Stop looking at "codes" (which can be useful, but not this time) and start looking at the data stream...what does the computer say is the engine RPM during cranking? You need a SCAN TOOL, not a crappy "code reader" or paper-clip.
like I said, it has never worked. I tried two different obd1 adapters and both had communications failure or something. I've even taken it to shops(not the dealer) and they couldn't read it either. I've always just thrown parts at it and usually figured it out on my own - which is what it looks like I'm going to have to do now

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how you can get codes, but not data stream. Is your tool capable of reading the data stream? Do you have broken wires leading to the OBD1 connector?

Jwill000

Reaction score
the fuel computer wasn't getting full 12v, so I jumped that, then it would run and immediately die. I put on the $50 adapter for fuel pressure and the fuel pump wasn't getting 12v. When I jumpered that and got proper pressure, the injectors stopped firing. I got tired of having a lawn ornament and wanted a truck back.

cheap fuel pump, reman 4barrel 650 carb, adapter plate, and it ran first turn of the key(using the stock ignition that still worked)

now I have a truck that works, and I was planning on swapping to a carb if/when I did a cam and headers. I think this truck just has too many fusable links and the wiring has some issues causing voltage drops