88 chevy k1500 v8.5.7 radiator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joshgrizzy24

Reaction score
I am trying to replace my radiator and I bought one that is exactly the same size and same layout as the old one, but the trans cooler line male fittings are smaller then the female fittings on the new radiator? Cooler line fittings are 1/2" and radiator is 5/8" What can I do? Buy a different radiator? Do adapters work or bad idea?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Most of the radiators you can get that require adapters should come with them. The fact that yours didn't would make me question it. Personally I'd return it and go with one that has the correct size fittings (and no extra coolant port under the fill cap that that requires a rubber plug).

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally I'd return it and go with one that has the correct size fittings (and no extra coolant port under the fill cap that that requires a rubber plug).
^^^ X2 however, the extra coolant port under the fill cap should be for the return hose from the heater core or are you referring to another extra port?

You must be registered for see images attach

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most of the radiators you can get that require adapters should come with them. The fact that yours didn't would make me question it. Personally I'd return it and go with one that has the correct size fittings (and no extra coolant port under the fill cap that that requires a rubber plug).
To add to this, while you can use adapters, if possible I'd avoid them. It's an unnecessary point of failure that can cripple your truck if it springs a leak. There's never a good time for your ATF to leak, but in my experience it waits until your furthest from help to fail. If that's the only part available, go for it, but if there's a direct fit replacement, I'd be willing to pay a bit extra for the peace of mind were it my truck.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^^^ X2 however, the extra coolant port under the fill cap should be for the return hose from the heater core or are you referring to another extra port?

You must be registered for see images attach

I always forget that port actually runs to something on some of these trucks. :lol: Neither of my '97s use it.

I have a replacement radiator in my Suburban that has that port and I replaced the rubber cap on it a few times before finding an appropriate silicone replacement cap that doesn't degrade as quickly.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it is an aftermarket radiator check in the box for a small bag with adaptors. I have seen them stick to the inside of the box with tape. If there are none, return it for another and check the new box.
This is a big reason to buy local when buying universal or multi model fit parts. My local Keystone delivers everyday so at worst I loose a day. If there is a common problem I know of like these fittings, they will pull the part and look in the box for me before they send it.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it is an aftermarket radiator check in the box for a small bag with adaptors. I have seen them stick to the inside of the box with tape. If there are none, return it for another and check the new box.
This is a big reason to buy local when buying universal or multi model fit parts. My local Keystone delivers everyday so at worst I loose a day. If there is a common problem I know of like these fittings, they will pull the part and look in the box for me before they send it. While the general theory of more joints equals more leak points is true, these connection when assembled correctly have a low failure rate.