88 1500 5.0 throttle sticking closed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It is a simple deal, nothing electronic holds the throttle or pedal. Its a pedal, cable, throttle shaft and spring.

Only other thing it could be is the tv cable when transmission builds pressure is sticking. Unhook the tv cable and cruise and see if that works. Dont drive it unhooked but sitting still it is ok to be unhooked

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have done everything that involves throttle body itsself and if none of that even helped id look elsewhere. Only 3 things hook to throttle body thar could interfere with operation, throttle cable or pedal, cruise control cable, and throttle valve cable or if it was old th350 would be called kick down or passing gear cable. 700r4 has to have it and has to be right to control fluid flow and pressure so starting ot and revving it up is fine as long as you dont drive it unhooked

Greg S Meier

Reaction score
It is a simple deal, nothing electronic holds the throttle or pedal. Its a pedal, cable, throttle shaft and spring.

Only other thing it could be is the tv cable when transmission builds pressure is sticking. Unhook the tv cable and cruise and see if that works. Dont drive it unhooked but sitting still it is ok to be unhooked
I tend to agree with you.
I've narrowed down to throttle shaft. The return spring is wound around the throttle shaft.
It doesn't have a kickdown on the throttle for the trans. It's a turbo 350, the kickdown is operated by vacuum. On a 400 their is linkage.
Any ideas on a rebuild kit for throttle shaft? I've done tons of carburetor rebuilds, so I'm fairly experienced.

Greg S Meier

Reaction score
Cruise is unhooked.
Old Turbo 350. Vacuume kickdown.
Pedal is free. I have unhooked it & it's smooth. When I hook it up to the tbi it is still smoothe until it's started. That's when it hangs up at an idle. Once it's past the sticky part, it works great.