88 1500 5.0 throttle sticking closed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Correct - and I forgot to mention that.
But, the principle appears to be the same.

I checked mine yesterday because of what I'd read in this thread and didn't like the idea that the butterfly resting on the throttle body was the final stop and not the designated screw.
And was prompted to think it could have been as I'd messed around with it earlier (and the lock on it was already missing at that point) when I had a couple of occasions where the idle settled at 1500 rpm and wouldn't budge so thought it worth rechecking.

It's awkward as hell as the IAC seems to compensate, I couldn't read the tach, and hearing what's going on above the racket of the fan makes detecting rpm change difficult.
In the end, I wound it out , heard the rpm drop, experienced the sticking, wound it back in just enough for the rpm to rise a touch, checked the sticking was gone and quit there.
Im not familiar with the vortecs so I wasn't sure how there throttle body's work that is why I asked.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im not familiar with the vortecs so I wasn't sure how there throttle body's work that is why I asked.

A perfectly reasonable question to ask given at the time of posting I'd forgotten the OP has a TBI. And they do differ - the Vortec being single butterfly, the TBI dual.

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep, I had it where, if you back out the screw too far the inner sleeve hooks on to the outer sleeve and makes it hard to depress the pedal. Here's my bored out 46mm with "Ultimate Mods" including shaved throttle shaft. I don't know if you can see it well enough in this pic but the blades are closed all the way. It relies totally on the IAC to control idle.
You must be registered for see images attach
Not talking about using the screw for the idle, using it to keep blades from hanging on the bore. Even your new one would hang if screw backed up to far when engine is running from the vacuum pull. Carbs do same thing and thats why even the back barrels on a holley have a adjustable screw. Have noticed that everyone woried about iac and noone even mentioned the tps adjustment

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not talking about using the screw for the idle, using it to keep blades from hanging on the bore. Even your new one would hang if screw backed up to far when engine is running from the vacuum pull. Carbs do same thing and thats why even the back barrels on a holley have a adjustable screw. Have noticed that everyone woried about iac and noone even mentioned the tps adjustment

When I first went messing with mine TPS adjustment was what I was looking for but none there.
Mine's a Vortec though and TBI motor is the one being discussed on this thread.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They can be adjusted same as tbi

It's a while since I was there but from memory the mounting holes were perfectly round with no provision for adjustment.
And just had another look and it's as I remembered it - round, not slotted.