88 1500 2x4 to 4x4 conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smokediver67

Reaction score
Hello all! I’ve acquired my grandfathers 88 Chevy swb truck. Wanting to slick this thing up but I’ve never owned a 2wd truck and really don’t want to. I know it’s possible, the million dollar question is, “how much?”

any advice is appreciated! Other than “sell it and buy a 4x4”.

I know I need a sas just not knowledgeable on costs for it all.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Solid axle front or independent front suspension?

The frames are different between the 2wd and 4x4. Probably best to get the complete front frame of a 4x4 and cut/grind/cobble up brackets into your existing frame. Maybe just cut off the entire front of the frame into yours?

Hopefully you know how to weld.

ORU does sell a sas kit specifically for 2wd frames. I've seen them on their website. Probably still need a bit of fabrication.

Sas swap is probably $3-4k, maybe more, depending on how cheap you find an axle and what you want.

Have you considered just swapping an entire 4x4 frame? That's probably cheaper.

Good luck.

smokediver67

Reaction score
Solid axle front or independent front suspension?

The frames are different between the 2wd and 4x4. Probably best to get the complete front frame of a 4x4 and cut/grind/cobble up brackets into your existing frame. Maybe just cut off the entire front of the frame into yours?

Hopefully you know how to weld.

ORU does sell a sas kit specifically for 2wd frames. I've seen them on their website. Probably still need a bit of fabrication.

Sas swap is probably $3-4k, maybe more, depending on how cheap you find an axle and what you want.

Have you considered just swapping an entire 4x4 frame? That's probably cheaper.

Good luck.

so if I swapped the entire frame to a 4x4, what else would I have to do?

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so if I swapped the entire frame to a 4x4, what else would I have to do?

Well, you're gonna need a transfer case. 800 bucks. GM uses cases that bolt to the transmission, not divorced units. And the output shaft of the 2wd tranny wont work. You'll have to tear down the transmission, rebuild and replace the output shaft. That's 1200 ish at a shop.

Then there's 2 new driveshafts, and the combo tranny to t-case adaptor/tranny mount. 600 bucks.

Cut a hole in the floor, install the shifter linkage, boot, lever and cover. (much easier than replacing the ENTIRE under dash harness to use an electric t-case) 300 bucks

If you're using a 4x4 frame, you'll need a new rear axle as the 2wd axle wont bolt to the leaf springs 700 bucks

Hopefully your frame comes with the front axle, control arms, steering linkage, brake rotors, calipers, wheel bearings, steering box, because the 2wd stuff wont swap over. 3000 bucks

And since the 4x4 uses 6 lug wheels, you'll need 4 new wheels and tires. 1000 dollars. Tires, because the 4x4 uses 16" wheels, not 15 like your 2wd.

So you're over 7 grand now just to convert, plus the cost of the frame plus labor at shop, probably 4 thousand dollars. About a weeks labor time 40 hours at 100 bucks an hour. 11 thousand dollars.

You ready to sell the 2wd and buy a 4x4 yet?

CKVortec

Indian name is "Walks on Knuckles"
Reaction score
Ok, if you don't want to hear "sell it and buy a 4x4" how about this... Buy a 4x4 and swap your cab and bed then sell the 2wd with the other cab and bed.
cheapest way I can come up with. but still.. Just buy a 4x4 it's both cheaper and easier.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, if you don't want to hear "sell it and buy a 4x4" how about this... Buy a 4x4 and swap your cab and bed then sell the 2wd with the other cab and bed.
cheapest way I can come up with. but still.. Just buy a 4x4 it's both cheaper and easier.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking here. Get a 4x4 truck with a blown engine. Beat up body/interior, etc. So long as frame is straight and rust free. Then swap your cab, bed and engine into that truck.

Cheapest/easiest route I think. Around here you can find these trucks like I mentioned for around $2,000, give or take.

smokediver67

Reaction score
Yeah, this is what I was thinking here. Get a 4x4 truck with a blown engine. Beat up body/interior, etc. So long as frame is straight and rust free. Then swap your cab, bed and engine into that truck.

Cheapest/easiest route I think. Around here you can find these trucks like I mentioned for around $2,000, give or take.

this doesn’t sound like a bad idea! Plenty of those around here. Question is, how much would a shop charge me for the swap?!

side question, are parts for these trucks relatively inexpensive? It’s a family heirloom so I plan to heavily renovate it.

Hamps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well it can be done and I understand sentimental value.
I am in the process on mine and can tell you it isn’t for the faint hearted. If you have all of the tools
Welder cutting torch/plasma ect
The 5-7gs is a good ballpark. I don’t know what I have in mine but could say that’s accurate. I have swapped borrowed sold and have taken my time but still have a bit in it. The front crossmember will need hacked on quite a bit. Crossover steering is a must. Shock placement for the front can be a bit interesting for the 2wd frames when doing a SAS. I made it even more of a pain switching from a Th700r4 to a Sm465. I have been lucky sourcing parts.
Reading and research will be your best friend moving forward. Reach out and if I can help I will be more than happy.
1 It is going to cost money
2 it will take some time to do correctly.
3 It means a lot to you make it something badass you will use and keep forever.

You must be registered for see images attach