810 cylinder heads.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One thing I sorta knew but got verified by watching Eric Weingarter is that more flow does not always equal more hp. And it is not only about keeping air speed up, mixture quality and combustion speed is important too and probably where the Vortecs shine.
I've been working on my engine build spreadsheet more, trying to develop the graph so that instead of just cam profile it shows both the cam and heads' effect on airflow. To that end I've been doing a lot of reading on head flow. I can't remember where I read it, but for undersquare engines cylinder head CFM is fairly accurate for power. The more oversquare you get the less CFM matters and the more port speed matters. The downside for us is that everybody reports CFM numbers, but nobody reports port speed because it requires expensive specialized equipment.

What about "indexing" the spark plug?
Thirty years ago we were told it was important, but everybody who's reported dyno results has said that any changes were within the margin of error. I would guess that it might matter if you were running points, but any ignition system with some power behind it is going to make indexing moot.

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last time I indexed a spark plug was on a B&S Flathead :D
Other weird things sparkplug related I do is run NGK on EVERYTHING.
Two strokes get "P" plugs if I can get away with it, and when I get really fancy Those P plugs end with "IX".

Attachments

• 20240110_165737.jpg
    20240110_165737.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 3
Last edited: