810 cylinder heads.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Hello people of 88-98 land. I have picked up a mystery engine to rebuild for my truck while I’m driving it. The casting number is 14093638 and was extremely vague upon looking into it. The only thing I know for sure now is that it’s a 350. But I’m more concerned about the cylinder heads. This will be going into my ‘90 C2500 Silverado so I don’t want to be using inferior cylinder heads if I can help it now before putting the money into it. My head cast No. is 10110810 and I’m not pulling a lot of information on it at all. If anyone knows anything about the 810 heads, I would love to have some knowledge on it. Thank you!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be sure that the two center bolts for the intake manifold are at the goofy angle suitable for a TBI intake manifold.

If the two center bolts are at the same angle as all the others...you need different heads, or you need a different intake.

While you're looking at the intake gasket surface of the heads, make sure there's an exhaust crossover port in between those two bolt holes.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
810s are the heavy duty TBI heads for 1-tons or industrial use. Mine had larger stem valves, sodium filled exhaust valves, and rotators on both intake and exhaust valves. The exhaust valves were also single angle for gaseous fuels.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When you say inferior, it depends on what you are expecting from the engine. Like stated before in this thread they are the HD version of TBI heads. The valve stems are 3/8 and they are a heavier casting to resist warping if overheated. I used a set on my RCSB 1500 because my main concern was longevity and fuel mileage. Low end torque is my application is more important than upper rpm horsepower. I drive across desert valleys that can get well above 120 deg. So these heads are the best available for me because of the heavier casting. They aren’t great if you are going to spin faster than 4500 RPM. But they will work well if you are building a tow/work vehicle.

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd like to add some of my findings regarding the 810 heads.

But first a disclaimer. I've only looked at one set of 810 heads.
These heads, last time they were on an engine, were installed with what might have been fel pro gaskets. This tells me they might have been refurbished at some point, but I really can't tell. And if they where, the inlet valve guides where not touched and are still tight. (which sorta points against them being worked over) The ports where also cleaner than the low mileage 193 heads I compared them to.

Alright.

These particular heads have hardened exhaust seat inserts and pressed in cast(?) valve guides. The exhaust valve stems are as previously mentioned 3/8"
Inlet valve stems are standard size.
Both inlet and exhaust valves have rotators. The casting at the spring pockets are different so the pockets are not as deep as the exh pocket on a 193 head. Another casting difference is that there is way more meat around the exh. valve guide inside the port. Despite that MotorTrend has measured them (the 810 heads) to flow 146 Exh @.500 (& 166cfm Inlet)

Hardened Exhaust Valve Seat insert.
I think @Schurkey said in another thread of mine that he had never seen a chevy head with a single angle valve job. Well, here is one :)
You must be registered for see images attach

Valve guides look way different, notice how the actual casting appear to just have a small stubb boss which has been machined to take the insert.

Valve guides and deep exh spring pocket on 193 head.

Last edited:

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pushrod holes, round on 810, slotted on 193

And the reason I bothered to mess with these "boat anchors" in the first place. They DO NOT HAVE the BOWLHOG CUT in the Inlet valve seat.

810 head, somewhat ok bowl cut, there is also signs of a tiny 60degree cut just at the edge (obvously :) ),of the 45 degree seat.

193 Head. With Ugly Bowl hog step, making it very difficult to do a proper valve job, without sinking the valve deeeep in the head.

Last edited:

1990Z71Swede

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
810 Exhaust port with lots of meat around the guide boss.

193 head

And the wonky 3/8 stem exh valve Necked down to take the standard spring retainer and locks.
It looks and feels heavy, but if it's a hollow stem sodium filled type deal it might not be too bad.
Also, notice how wide the seat is, and how high it sits on the valve. Lots of potential for improvement here. :)

Last edited: