8 lug swap 1500 and upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've got four 4x4 GMT400 trucks:

1988 GMC 1500, my first 4x4, the ole Blue 2 door shortbed stepside, the one that New Yuck state and their salty winter roads have reeked havok on the body panels, but the frame is still solid. Originally a 4.3 stickshift, I grenaded the Getrag tranny twice, upgraded to V8 automatic from a 6 lug 2500, and drove it daily, plowed my driveway for a few years, before kids. Blew out the brake lines, lost power steering due to rust. Its got a 9.5 14 bolt and is currently off the road out on my property as a field truck.

1989 Chevy 1500, the truck I've idolized since I was a kid. My next door neighbor bought it new, Whipple supercharged 5.7 TBI stickshift, all stock drivetrain, including the weakest one wheel peel 10 bolt axle GM uses. 38,000 original miles. SS grille, mirrors, alloy wheels have never seen winter, but it needs a headliner.

1998 Suburban 2500, 8 lug semifloat, 5.7 Vortec 4L80e. 40 gallon tank, 3rd row seat, barn doors, Badly rotted swiss cheese frame front and back, soon to be donor truck. The body is straight, the interior is super clean, everything works but the rear heat & A/C. This thing is 6000 lbs and rides like a tank.

2000 Yukon Denali, my current family truck/daily driver. Its got the snow plow from ole Blue, leather seats, lift glass/tailgate, 2500LD torsion bars, gov-lock 10 bolt, but a better set of brakes due to being an SUV. 208,000 miles, cold A/C, MSD ignition box, decent OE black paint with smoked turn signal and tail lenses. Replaced the starter and tranny cooler lines in May, radiator, p/s pump, and oil cooler lines in Aug. She's just a pleasure to drive.

I want to upgrade the parts on most of what I have, and thankfully all 3 half tons have 3.73 gears.

The 1989 and its weak open diff axle... Swap in the larger brake equipped, gov-loc 10 bolt from the Denali. Got new shoes, cylinders, and drums summer of '19. Lowering torsion bar keys, drop shackles and hangers for a 3-4 drop, AWD t-case needs a 32 spline adaptor to work.

The Denali gets the 6-lug 14 bolt form Ole Blue, but retains the OE rear sway bar.

The "Bourban" as my son calls it, wont pass safety inspection so Ole Blue might just receive the 5.7 Vortec/4L80e/NP263. Great upgrade in power. I already bought a fuel tank assy from a 1996 Pickup to replace the rusty OE TBI tank & pump. Ole Blue gets the entire dash with electronics, A/C as a bonus, and column shifter.
In my horde... I mean collection of spare parts, I have an entire used 6" Rough Country lift kit. Ive read a bunch of forums that agree the 8 lug 14 bolt will mostly bolt in, but the problem lies in the front upper control arms. They're wider at the frame side, and the ball joint taper is different. So the plan is, 6" lift brackets hold the 2500 LCA's, and 9.25 diff, and I'll refabricate the lift kit upper bracket mounting points to connect to the 1500 frame and the 2500 UCA. Not to mention shortening the rear driveshaft, and modifying the exhaust.

So, when I'm done I've upgraded the brakes on the hot rod truck, upgraded the brakes and increased the axle strength of my daily driver, and turned my field truck into a lifted, 8 lug half ton 4:10 gears, with hydroboost, A/C, and good sheetmetal, perhaps for a return to road service

Now, if only I had a shop with a couple lifts...

Last edited: