electric actuator upgrade doesn’t fit 8 lug k2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91Scotts

Reaction score
Currently dealing with this same problem on my 91 k2500.. did you find a solution?

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drivetrain - Slow Or No Engagement of Front Axle

File In Section: 4 Drive Axle

Bulletin No.: 76-43-01A

Date: September, 1998

Subject:
Slow or no Engagement of Front Axle when 4WD is selected (Replace Front Axle Actuator)

Models:
1988-97 Chevrolet and GMC K Models
excluding 1988-93 Models over 8500 # GVW

This bulletin is being revised to add information to the Service Procedure, add a new part number, and include schematics. Please discard Corporate
Bulletin Number 76-43-01 (Section 4 - Drive Axle).

Condition

Some owners may comment that the colder the outside temperature is, the longer it takes for the front axle to engage when 4 wheel drive is selected, or
the front axle does not engage.

Cause

The front axle engagement actuator is a thermally activated component. Because of this characteristic, the time required for the actuator to complete 4
wheel drive engagement is extended as the temperature drops.

Correction

Replace the front axle actuator and include the applicable wiring harness kit. Refer to the Parts Information in order to determine which wiring harness
kit is needed.

1996 model trucks with a build date on or after January 2, 1996 are considered as "961". If the build date of the truck is unknown, verify the 3 character
"axle code" on the front axle label in order to determine which wire harness to order.

This new actuator uses a motor to engage the front axle and is not affected by temperature. On 1988-93 models with a GVW rating over 8500$, the new
actuator cannot be installed and the thermal actuator will remain the service part.

Currently dealing with this same problem on my 91 k2500.. did you find a solution?
see the highlighted portion, does that apply to you

TylerSteez

Reaction score
I knew i wasn’t crazy. so based off of that bulletin, there IS a difference in the 88-93 8 lug 8600GVWR front axles that prevents this upgrade.

i ended up turning the new electric actuator down on a lathe as much as i could, you’re limited by the fasteners that hold the actuator together. i then ground a flat spot on the front of the axle where the actuator makes contact with the axle tube, i didn’t have to remove much material, maybe a 32nd to a 16th of an inch. grinding the axle tube was definitely something i tried to avoid but it was the only way to fit the new actuator, i was very diligent on only removing what was absolutely necessary. i then had to increase the radius of the perch web that comes in contact with the new actuator.

here’s a video I made highlighting it all. i unfortunately didn’t get too many good shots of the final grind in but i do show what was modified and where. the new electric actuator is installed and works great, i stress tested it in the snow and it worked flawlessly.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media