electric actuator upgrade doesn’t fit 8 lug k2500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TylerSteez

Reaction score
hey guys, the thermal actuator burned out on my 1992 gmc k2500 7.4l tbi truck. i decided to do the electric actuator upgrade and ordered the dorman 600-600 kit along with the dorman 600-101 actuator. my issue is that the body of the new actuator is wider and hits the axle tube, preventing it from threading into the hole. i turned it down on my lathe as much as i possibly could and it was not enough. does this upgrade not work on 8 lug k2500s?
You must be registered for see images attach

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you recheck with Dorman for your application? Recheck you received the correct part? Teflon tape?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this thread out of "ENGINES" and into "Axles + Brakes".

The GM Bulletin discussing this warns about use on cast-iron housings.

I can't find a copy of the bulletin.

TylerSteez

Reaction score
my apologies for the incorrect location. i saw the bulletin about the casting flash that might have to be knocked off but this is far beyond just a rough casting needing to be cleaned up. the front end is also aluminum on my truck and not the cast iron that they reference

i was only able to find one other person online that ran into this in a random amazon review, he also had a 92 k2500.

TylerSteez

Reaction score

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for my 95 k2500 suburban's front axle to warm up and engage. Considered the upgrade, but I'm cheap and the thermal is still working, just slowly.

TylerSteez

Reaction score
I ended up turning down about .1" off the actuator and then grinding the axle tube/housing just enough for the sensor to thread in straight. The swap itself works fantastic, immediate 4wd and it fixed the issue of my 4wd fuse popping on engagement. I'm just still curious on if there's any differences in the axle housing for the 1992 model year.

TylerSteez

Reaction score
Did you recheck with Dorman for your application? Recheck you received the correct part? Teflon tape?
600-601 seems to be the right part number. instructions said to teflon tape the threads.

the picture doesn't really show how off the actuator was from going in. it looks like the threads are started in that pic but it's just resting there. the body of the sensor would hit the axle tube before the threads could thread into the housing straight. I turned some more off of the actuator and ground down the axle just enough for it to thread in straight and all is well now. I'm just still curious on the axle differences for the 1992 year seeing as the only other person I've seen online that ran into this also had a 1992 8 lug k2500