8 hi Headlight mod???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Michagan state law...time to squash the number debate...lol.... no more them 4 foward headlights on at any one giving time .
You must be registered for see images attach

sent from what use to be a great country...

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
This sounds like a horrible idea.. nobody regularly driving on the road needs 8 headlights. The 4 hi is just fine, if you need the extra lighting for off-roading purposes get some KC's or led cubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed, bad idea on multiple counts. Leave it stock.

Elibramer

Reaction score
do you have poor lighting.....or just want to do something different?

I honestly want to do something different

And to everyone saying it will be illegal, well I understand then. But even if I don't wire it to have all 8 on when my high beams are one, 4 low and 4 high is mainly why I want it as I live in the middle of nowhere and there isn't barley any traffic at night. Im not trying to be illegal, I just hate when I can't see everything. I've hit more than 6 animals(5 deer and one turkey) in the past three years at night and feel that with more lighting I can avoid those said animals.
Furthermore, I have a Durango, it has two different sets of fog lights that I run with my dims(which has saved me from countless animal incidents). I always turn them off when I come across other traffic, and have asked a few local cops if it's okay to do that and none have told me that they don't approve as long as I'm not behind anyone and there isn't any oncoming traffic.

This sounds like a horrible idea.. nobody regularly driving on the road needs 8 headlights. The 4 hi is just fine, if you need the extra lighting for off-roading purposes get some KC's or led cubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would get led pods or a light bar typically, but I want this truck to have a certain look. Pretty much a nice clean "stock" looking truck that I could daily drive in the summer yet double up as a 1/8 mile runner (besides the headlights, the rims, and the interior)

So lastly how would this be possible?(without running the 4hi mod on both sets of headlights)
I don't really care if it's legal either. I just want to do it.
But thank you for your time.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Thats an interesting idea, I would try it and post your results with pics!

and your right that as long as you have it wired so you don't have any more than 4 on when you have oncoming traffic you'll be fine with the law. Just say there for off-road use. People have strings of KC's, light bars and more on trucks now a days and they're legal as long as you dont use them with oncoming traffic.

I would wire them up for a normal 4-hi circuit (2-low and standard 4-high), then have an additional switch that lets them come on with the high beams and off with the high beams so your not fumbling around trying to turn them off, you just turn off your high's and you go back to the stock 2-beam lows until you turn the high's back on. I had an old truck that I wired 4 roof mounted KC's this way and it worked fine and I never had any trouble with the law running them on the street this way. But I was also very courteous of on-coming traffic too and turned them off way before it was needed.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you remove the lower turn signal lights, that would be illegal there would be no more turn marker. That being said, when I did the 4 high mod, and saw how much brighter the headlights were with the 4 high on, I could not believe it. So I added another relay to the low beams. I cut the supply wire to the low beams next to the battery, and used this as my switch wire. I did not run new wires from the passengers side to the drivers side, but I did use a #10 AWG wire as my supply from the relay. I tied this in about 2 or 3 inches from the connection at the bulb, but like I said, only on the passengers side. The run from the drivers side on my tuck, comes from the passengers side so the run is short and being supplied from the battery by a larger wire, this is plenty enough to supply both sides.The low beams are a lot brighter, and so are the high beams, because they are both supplied from a relay next to the battery and by a larger supply wire. This makes a huge difference. If you still have DRL, you will need to disable this. I just removed the fuse. As you can see in the pic., I also added lights in the top corner markers. This was much harder than the 4 high mod, but I like the effect. I removed the valance a long time ago, but when I had my 93 WT, I added driving lights there. I found this helped to light up the side of the road. There are a lot of places that you can add lights with out removing the turn signals, but it is your truck, and you can do what you want with it.