Headlight cover clips

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MNorton

Reaction score
I purchased new clear headlight covers due to the ones I have being all scratched up. It looks like there are small metal clips holding the cover on and apparently there are spots for four of the clips on each headlight. I haven’t taken them out yet to replace yet but wondered where I could find more clips? There are on two on each headlight now but thought I would add four to each headlight to keep it sealed better, if I can even get it apart. The picture shows where one of the clips is located! Maybe I should just replace the whole headlight but the covers were much cheaper.
You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That style of headlight housing (composites) have the lenses glued to the housings and are not able to be disassembled under normal circumstances. Those clips are just there from the factory to hold everything in place until the glue dries. I'm not even sure how/where you found the lenses for sale separately.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, and only a few brands, if not just one brand, of headlights had those clips, and they were aftermarket. I want to say maybe it was the DEPO brand offering from many years ago had those clips.

Richard

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, and only a few brands, if not just one brand, of headlights had those clips, and they were aftermarket. I want to say maybe it was the DEPO brand offering from many years ago had those clips.

I've seen them on quite a few, I could be wrong but I think at least some of the OEM GM composite housings had them. I know my GM Brazil/Artebs do, although a couple clips were already missing by the time they got to me.

You must be registered for see images attach

XDmToter

Reaction score
That style of headlight housing (composites) have the lenses glued to the housings and are not able to be disassembled under normal circumstances. Those clips are just there from the factory to hold everything in place until the glue dries. I'm not even sure how/where you found the lenses for sale separately.

That's good to know. My old clear headlights had the clips, and those clips were some of the only rusty parts on the truck. I bought some factory style replicas and those also have the clips. Of course, being in Michigan, those have to be covered with Surface Shield or Fluid Film to prevent rust. I don't like using something meant as an undercoating on exterior parts due to the oily nature of the product, so it's good to know I can just remove the clips.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen them on quite a few, I could be wrong but I think at least some of the OEM GM composite housings had them.
I've never ever seen an OEM Sylvania/GTE GMT400 headlamp with the metal clips on the lens. Only on some aftermarket copies. Obviously I ain't seen every single one, but I feel like I've seen a lot. ;)

Richard