77Conours's 2003 Duramax ECSB Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since I traded in my 1995 ECSB K1500 Silverado Z71 that I put thousands of dollars into and got jack squat for it :nono: I bought a 2003 Silverado LS Duramax Diesel LB7 4x4.

"Why would you do that?" You might ask.

When I bought my '95 I enjoyed it thoroughly but it lacked power and handled like a tank. A lightweight Nova that I drove in high school drove much faster and handled much better. I wanted more power, better handling, and of course heat and air conditioning that worked in a vehicle for once. After my truck started to nickel and dime me and the rust on the frame worsened I decided it was time to hold off on vehicle projects both large and small until I graduated college and got a solid job.

The search began and I decided a diesel was the way to go. The performance is outstanding and I can tow my car once I build a "less streetable" motor for it. Also in the lovely winters in PA the four wheel drive would come in handy too. I looked at a 2003 Laramie Cummins and loved the performance but there was no warranty and the interior cosmetically was mediocre at best. Pretty bummed that I didn't buy it but I knew it wasn't meant to be. So 3 days later while on pickuptrucks.com I came across an Arrival Blue Metallic 2003 Silverado with a Duramax/Allison transmission combo with 158,*** on the clock. I test drove it and loved the acceleration. Everything went well and 2 hours later I put a security deposit on it. The dealer allowed me to take all my stereo equipment and CB radio. I also removed my LEDs since I had about $200 worth installed. Trading in my 400 was extremely tough but I knew it was the right decision, I just know whoever gets it next won't take good care of it like I did.

The truck I bought modification wise has a 4" turbo back exhaust with a 5" tip, 20% tinted windows, a 5 position switch installed for EFI Live, and a Pioneer head unit. I have many modifications planned for it and I swapped in my floor mats, steering wheel cover, and LEDs from my old truck. The truck was home for 3 hours and I had about $150 worth of stuff in it already.

Stay tuned for updates!

You must be registered for see images attach

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ordered an Autometer triple gauge pillar and Boost, EGT, and oil temperature Glowshift 7 color tinted gauges today. Probably won't get installed until later in the month. So far the truck is great. Stereo system sucks compared to my old one but I can change that :evillol: I have quite a list written up with mods that I want done. Nothing major but they will definitely increase the performance of the truck.

Also, boost is :boobs:

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice upgrade man! Looks awesome! It's a shame you had to trade, but I'm sure you'll get over it :)

Thanks Cole, I miss my old truck everyday but I have a whole lifetime to get restoration projects. I have to focus on the present and get a job then start playing.

Today I took out the broken comp/temp mirror that came factory and installed my other NBS comp/temp mirror I bought on here from addiction2bass. Direct plug and play. I also washed, claybar, and waxed my truck. Tomorrow I'm going to polish the PY0's, bumpers, and exhaust tip. Maybe even Rain-X the windows.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Did you ask when the injectors were last replaced? How many miles on the odometer?

Injectors are a significant problem on LB7 engines and are far from cheap to replace (as in thousands of $$$$$$$). You can save some cash by changing them yourself, but the injector cups use an o-ring seal at the bottom that guys mess up if they don't get it right and then you end up with a leaking injector.

Seems most that have issues start right around 100,000-150,000 and replacement injectors seems to be hit and miss as to when issues will pop up again.

It wouldn't turn me off on buying an LB7 powered truck, it's thier quirk. Like a vortec "injection spider" or the PMD on a 6.5. GM has to fumble the ball on at least one thing on every vehicle it seems.....:rolleyes:

But if I were you, I would start saving a couple bucks each week for possible injector replacements in the future.......hopefully the far future.

Last edited:

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you ask when the injectors were last replaced? How many miles on the odometer?

Injectors are a significant problem on LB7 engines and are far from cheap to replace (as in thousands of $$$$$$$). You can save some cash by changing them yourself, but the injector cups use an o-ring seal at the bottom that guys mess up if they don't get it right and then you end up with a leaking injector.

Seems most that have issues start right around 100,000-150,000 and replacement injectors seems to be hit and miss as to when issues will pop up again.

It wouldn't turn me off on buying an LB7 powered truck, it's thier quirk. Like a vortec "injection spider" or the PMD on a 6.5. GM has to fumble the ball on at least one thing on every vehicle it seems.....:rolleyes:

But if I were you, I would start saving a couple bucks each week for possible injector replacements in the future.......hopefully the far future.

The truck has about 158,8xx miles on it. I already have $1,000 saved and it seems the place to get remanufactured injectors is from Lincoln Diesel out in the Midwest here in the states. For a full set they charge about $1,700. I'm not getting crazy with twin turbos or anything. Gauges and lift pump are first, air intake, boost valve, intake horn, maybe a batmowheel for the turbo not too sure yet.

Fluids will probably get changed in November to Amsoil and Wix filters. I also have to get my stereo build started, driving everyday with only my driver side door speakers is getting old and step down compared to my Kicker system that was in my 400.