7.4L Main Bearings... Clevite MS-829H or GM Performance ala cart?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RanchWelder

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Summit said the missing GM perfomance part for the 2,3,4 bearings can be resolved using the

Clevite H-Series Main Bearings MS-829H​

This set has all 5 bearings.
Nowhere does the description state the set includes the OEM #1 and #5 specialty bearings included...
Of course the stock photo does show the larger main journal bearing...

GM 10181306, number 1, they stock​

GM 12529885, they do not stock​

GM 10181307, number 5, they stock​

Can anyone here confirm the Clevite set will work for an OEM, no machining (hopefully) required?
Do I need to buy the number 5 bearing from GM regardless, because Clevite secretly does not include it?

Engine is in a 1999 Mark VI 7.4L. Everything matches VIN as original and well maintained.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Summit web page for MS-829H shows that number to be compatible for BBC from Y2K all the way back to 1965.

Says there's five bearings included. That's all you need. No reason to buy bearings individually from GM.

Looks like a one-purchase deal to me, if you want a tri-metal bearing with extra fillet clearance, and optimized for medium-to-high RPM.
Clevite H-Series main bearings were developed primarily for NASCAR racing, but are well suited to other types of competition engines as well. They're especially good for engines that run at medium-to-high revs. They have steel backings with carefully selected overlays and a high crush factor, plus a medium level of eccentricity. H-Series bearings have enlarged chamfers at the sides for greater crank-fillet clearance and are made without flash plating for better seating.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you haven't yet, get the old ones out and look for a size stamp on them. I'm not familiar with bb's so much but GM select fit bearings so not uncommon to see something such as +.0006 bearings on the main's.... a situation where a STD bearing is too loose and a +.001 is too tight to get clearance in spec. Check what you have.

Last edited:

RanchWelder

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I'll measure first.

Last edited:

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
According to machine shop paperwork that I have for my gen6 build, they did use ms829h.
You must be registered for see images attach

Gm page in earlier post appears to only reference that clearance limits are different for 1 and 5, but not necessarily spec is different for bearing it self than earlier blocks

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Clevite probably made the bearings for GM. At one time TRW made con rods for high output small blocks.