6L80E-HD thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
You would only need a new drive shaft. Everything you need comes with kit, a straight bolt on. No clearance issues, no extra cross member. Kit for a 4L80E is 3 grand.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out what it is, is it technically just a modified tailhousing? What part of the case does it replace? Hell I wish I'd known about this a few days ago, that way i coulda had it done before heading up to the show in memphis.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
It is pretty much a manual transfer case, but instead of gearing down it gears up. It bolts on where the tail housing bolts to, the 8 bolts. It is operated via a driver controlled switch that can be mounted on the floor(like the old high beam switch), on the steering wheel, on the gear shifter, anywhere you want. Think of how a 2 speed rear end works, just much smaller and on the driveshaft instead of in the diff housing.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
Kind of, just better built and smaller. It used a single Raybestos friction and a high pressure internal pump with needle bearings and an electric solenoid.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If you are looking for one of these, check out wreckers that dismantle Motorhomes, with a GM drivetrain. Usually with a BBC/Turbo 400. They are damn near indestructable. All they really are is another planetary. IIRC they came in two models. One for under 1000hp, & one for over that.
There is another manufacturer, just can't remember the name off the top of my head, & they are somewhat less expensive.
I've seen used G/V overdrive units on C/L for under $1000.00. ($650.00 +)
They are completely rebuildable.
There are quite a few 1/4 milers that put huge HP in front of these things.