6.6 LML Duramax Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LML Duramax 95 Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am 16 and I am a fairly experienced fabricater, I won't say I'm the best around but I can definitely make something strong and work right at the same time. I don't have the donor truck yet that's all I need basically. I want to wait a couple years and buy a wrecked one from a junkyard hopefully. I'm just trying to get ideas put together ahead of time to cut down on how long this project will take.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is there a reason you want to go the LML route? You can go LBZ or LB7 a lot cheaper than an LML due to them being older.

LML Duramax 95 Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yes, I like that it already makes the numbers I want without any tuning or mods. I was thinking about a 5.9 24 valve but I didn't want to have to mod it and possibly sacrifice mpgs to get in the 400hp 800lb-ft range. Also it is supposed get better mileage than the older ones.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM stopped putting manual transmissions behind the Dmax in 06 or 07, and never offered one behind an LML, so you'll need custom ECM tuning regardless. No to mention deleting the SCR equipment. Any of the Dmax engines can hit stock LML numbers reliably with very minor mods. It's the trans that holds most back, as the Allison needs help to hold the bigger tunes reliably. The T56 will have to be built to the hilt, and will still probably scatter if you have a good clutch and traction. You'd be better served by a NV4500, as those were actually put behind the Dmax (when the manual was an option) and have proven to hold the torque. Not to mention that it was available in the GMT400's, so mounting and shifter location will be a bit easier.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
It being difficult is all the more motivation for me to try and do it personally. The amount of torque that the LML makes is the very reason why this swap is an awesome idea and a terrible idea because the entire drivetrain from the donor truck has to be swapped over including the axles. But then I want a standard and a manual t case so I'll have to get those built up to handle the torque. But doing the axle and suspension swap will be a convenient way up upgrading to struts over leaf and shock

Upgrading to struts? Do you mean coil overs?

LML Duramax 95 Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well actually I've heard that the NVs can't handle any more than 4-500lb-ft even when built and if you have any kind of weight in the bed or a trailer hooked up that as soon as you go into top gear they shatter that gear and syncro. Also why would I have to tune the ECM to hook a manual up to it?

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Struts are not the same as coilovers. Struts are no where near adjustable as coilovers are.