6.6 LML Duramax Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LML Duramax 95 Z71

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to swap an LML into my 95 Z71 and hook it up to a wide ratio built T-56 with a NP205 transfer case and the rear axle from an 11-present Duramax. I've got it pretty much figured out but does anybody have any other ideas on this? (And yes I will be heavily reinforcing the chassis to withstand the 765lb-ft of torque)

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are going to need to do something with the suspension. The 1/2 ton suspension will not do well with a duramax up front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21Actual

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Shocks don't increase your weight rating. You need heavier springs, or torsion bars in this case to support the extra weight of that duramax.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
According to Google it weighs 835 lbs without the turbo, turbo piping or the DEF system. A 350 weighs roughly 535lbs

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also you will most likely need a body lift

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Its not that much heavier honestly. No different then bolting a ranch hand on

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I seriously doubt any of the suspension components from a 2011-up truck will bolt onto anything from our era. You'd need suspension components from a 3/4 ton or one ton GMT400. I'm not a mechanic, and I don't know much about this type of thing, but it seems to me if you really want to do this you're going to need at least two donor trucks, one for drivetrain and one for suspension. Seems like you'd be a lot better off just buying the truck you actually want than trying to Frankenstein one together. Just my two cents.