5.7L sbc timing with mild cam

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What would be a good "middle of the road" or jumpoff point to aim for on a 92 k1500 4x4 timing? I've been toying with it for the past week or so and trying the distributor at different points and it's sitting at 0 with my timing light at 14°, but i'm not convinced it's living up to it's potential where it's at. I've already set the engine to tdc and disconnecting the vacuum advance, and am familiar with all of the prep work before starting the process. But it has a slight shudder from °0 to °4 at idle. I can't get any factory specs on the motor because it was swapped before I bought the truck and won't be able to get the engine codes until I drop the transmission. Thanks for any advice in advance

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A scanner would help a lot. If you're logging knock, then you're too far advanced. If not, I'd push it more.

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Still in the process of trying to figure that and the engine code out. But a buddy of mine seems to think they're vortec heads. I attached a somewhat recent pic of the setup

You must be registered for see images attach

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It sounds good idling right at or just under 600 rpm's, and when I advance it to about 4° - 6°-ish it acts like it wants to stall out when i'm coming to a stop. It's nice that the motor only has around 10k miles on it and has alot of aftermarket upgrades, but it also sucks because I don't know the guy who built it that would know all the specs.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it has 8 intake manifold bolts then you have vortec heads. If you have 12 intake manifold bolts then you have earlier heads.

Dennis Wilkie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A scanner would help a lot. If you're logging knock, then you're too far advanced. If not, I'd push it more.
I bought one, but after I bought it I got an email from the seller telling me it wouldn't work on my truck...even though they said it would before the purchase. So I didn't buy the 12 to 16 pin adapter and have never taken it out of the box

You must be registered for see images attach