5.7 Vortec Upgrade Options

Discussion in 'Engine Performance + Maintenance' started by Trenton, Aug 12, 2019.

Car Parts
  1. Supercharged111

Supercharged111 I'm Awesome

Get off your high horse, you're the one who came in here spouting garbage and defending it then denying it altogether. I hate the spread of misinformation. OP boost will not kill your motor so don't fear it. Here in CO my stock fuel pump feeds my 1500 just fine. I put an AEM 340lph universal pump in my 3500 as the Napa replacement was not up to the task.

df2x4, Christian Steffen and Trenton like this.
  2. Trenton

Trenton Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies

Perfect, I'm here in Colorado living at 8600 feet! Haha! Good to know. I didn't think 6 psi could kill it, especially because it's still under the 400 horsepower mark.

3. Trigger_guard

Trigger_guard I'm Awesome

Guess we have pretty firm opinions on how to add power. Kek. Never in a thousand years would I have considered forced induction on a street drivin small block. But If it tickles your fancy, roll with it.

Sorry for trashing your thread

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

4. RDF1

RDF1 I'm Awesome

Timing and the right fuel is the key no matter what your dealing with plus the right spark plug too.

6psi should give you about an extra 100 . So at that elevation that would make a big difference..

We are runnin 38 psi on a stock bottom end 5.3 with twin 71mm in my buddy's car.

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

5. RDF1

RDF1 I'm Awesome

Why is that?
    I've put over 280,000+ miles on a turbo LQ4. It's been a good one too. Towed all over the place with it and daily drove it for years with just regular maintenance.

That same turbo setup is on my 91 C1500 now with a 5.3. Already put 14,000 miles on it this year. Might hit the 300,000 mile mark on this turbo by the end of this year.

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

6. Trenton

Dang that's badass! Im gonna get it tuned for 91/93 octane fuel of course. Timing will be set by my tuner, which I got a great reference from the owner of Wynjammer. Also, a 411 PCM swap is going to be done, too.

7. Trigger_guard

Awe hell. All this fighting. Y'all should have told me your at 8600ft. Shit you need 5# just to compensate for elevation.
    Hell yeah man boost away.

Are all you guys at high altitude?

8. kennythewelder

kennythewelder B31-3 (6-G) certified

9. Trenton

That's no kidding! That includes me trying to breathe My home is back in Texas at 400 feet elevation so there's a difference for sure.

10. Trigger_guard

My motor couldn't take boost. I had to roll the timing back to run 89octane.

Really, At sea level nobody boosts anything. At least not around here. Just #6 down here is 11# on OPs motor.

Plus I've seen the Dyno numbers on 6# of boost. I can do better with a cam and heads.