5.7 Vortec Upgrade Options

Discussion in 'Engine Performance + Maintenance' started by Trenton, Aug 12, 2019.

Car Parts
  1. Trenton

Trenton OBS Enthusiast

I know there are probably like 185356 threads on here about upgrades to the 5.7 vortec, but I'd like everyone to list options of upgrades. Money and a budget is not a big factor, but I'm not looking for a turbo, although I would love to. My goal is slightly more towing power while keeping my mpg as decent as possible. I'm no speed demon but I live in the mountains now so I'd like to get as much low to mid range power as I can.

Here's all the mods I've added so far:
    -Volant Cold Air Intake (dry filter)
    -Cats must have fallen off at some point in its life
    -Gibson Cat-back exhaust
    -LT285/70R17 Nitto Ridge Grapplers
    -Blackbear Tube (rear O2 delete, 89 octane tune, adjusted for larger tires)
    -Summit Racing Performance ignition coil, distributor, and 8.5mm spark plug wires firing ACDelco iridium plugs
    -Completely Amsoil switch (besides trans)

Here's what I plan to do:
    -The SCPI to MPFI injector swap
    -Comp Cams 262HR-13 Complete Camshaft Kit
    -Comp Cams Magnum 1.52 Roller Rocker Upgrade
    -Hedman Shorty Headers

If I'm missing anything tell me! I will not drop in tire size, though. I really love the look of my 33s with the 6" Rough Country lift. I currently average 9.8 mpg around town and ive seen as high as 13.4 on the highway. I believe I've thought of almost everything. Picture is my truck.
    Thanks in advance y'all!
    -Trenton

Snapchat-142984152.jpg

98chevy2500SS likes this.
  2. letitsnow

letitsnow I'm Awesome

What gearing do you have? With those tires, something like 4.56 might be an improvement (if you haven't done that already). I have a similar truck with 4.10's/32" tires and feel the gearing is about right.

I honestly wouldn't spend any money on motor mods if I were you, save it for a supercharger - just my 2 cents.

3. Trenton

Trenton OBS Enthusiast

See I thought about putting in 4.56 Yukon Ring and Pinions, (since i have 4.10s right now) but I don't want to remove the front differential for a third time to take it apart and change the gearing. A 4.56 has been on my mind though. What supercharger would you recommend?

4. letitsnow

letitsnow I'm Awesome

Maybe it is good enough with 4.10's? I use my truck mainly to pull a 7000ish pound camper and wouldn't want any bigger tires because of that. If we had the 7.4 then it would probably be more flexible. With the 5.7 a guy seems better off to stay in or near the peak tq rpms.

I don't really know much about the supercharger, but there are guys on here that do. I bet they will give you some info soon. It seems like you have already done the other motor mods that make much of a difference.

5. Trenton

Trenton OBS Enthusiast

Sweet. Yeah the biggest difference honestly came from the tune and exhaust. Although, I feel the intake helping at higher rpms.
    About the supercharger, I've heard good things about a Wynjammer. Supposedly an amazing kit for the price. I might look at that.

6. b454rat

b454rat I'm Awesome

I had a similar truck but was a CCSB, and had 3.73s in it. But the fact is its a 7000 pound truck, that's a lot of ass to get getting with a cute lil 350. I'd go with 4.56s, even if jumped up to a 35" tire it will help....

7. Trigger_guard

Trigger_guard I'm Awesome

Honestly. I'd throw on a set 58cc aluminum heads. From like AFR or elderbrock. Then run a high lift/low duration cam. Like a comp cams Magnum. Otta give u better fuel mileage and butt tons of torque

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

8. Trigger_guard

And I feel like this should be noted.

Forced induction is a sure way to kill a stock long block. Your stock iron heads are only good for high 9.x/1 at best. With the stock 9.4 c/r if you ONE pound of boost you're at 10.2~.

Adding compression the old fashioned way is safer, will give you a better torque curve, and a helluva lot cheaper

9. RDF1

RDF1 I'm Awesome

Quick dumb question.... vortec heads are aluminum or steel?

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

10. Trigger_guard

Steel.