4x4 long travel suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Offroadaddict

Reaction score
Okay so im new here first of all. I have looked through the forum for awhile now and decided to make an acount. Anyways I have looked on here and other forums searching for prerunner builds but having a hard time finding any. And all I have found is custom kits that cost $10,000... Im 17 and dont have that kind of budget haha. I have also found some guys that do ttb swaps? What would happen if I took the sway bar off. Built some taller shock mounts, took out the bumpstops, and some wider A arms with some fox 2.0?

Offroadaddict

Reaction score
Or im debating on just sas it and building a trail rig so i can have fun sooner... haha. How difficult is a straight axle swap? im trying to go a cheaper route yet still have a mild built truck so i can have fun

ZZ-71

Reaction score
The problem with the GMT400 is you CANNOT remove the bumpstops without adverse effects. The CV's were never designed to flex any further than stock, thats why even cranking your torsion bars is not really a good idea.

In order to make a Prerunner 400, you would have to have custom high angle cv's made to even start this project.

Now the ttb is the most common way to go, but that is completely custom.

Offroadaddict

Reaction score
Yeah I might just build a trail rig:/ dont have money for someone to build me a full custom ttb axle. How difficult is a sas on these trucks? How much fabrication?

ZZ-71

Reaction score
its "easy" you can buy the bracket kit from Offroad Design, and that is a completely bolt on kit, then you find the axle you want to run, you design or buy steering and put springs under the truck and your on your way.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Is a long travel kit something you need or just something you think is cool? There is no such thing as a cheap long travel kit.

As far as an SAS, while they are a lot easier and a lot cheaper than a long travel kit, they still cost a bit of change. Around 2-4k once you're all said and done.

Honestly, an SAS and a wide travel are two worlds apart for two completely different kinds of offroading. For us to give you a better idea of what the best and least expensive route to go with your rig you're gonna need to tell us what you actually want to do with your truck. What are your goals.

-Sent from my twin turbo Desire using diesel fuel.-

DAGEN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You'd be better off doing a ton of research and going solid axle if you plan on wheeling hard. If not do a 6 inch and rebuild the stock suspension and call it good.

Reaction score
I'm building a pre-runner, and like he said, it'll be expensive. I engineer, fabricate and test myself and the total cost of building beams, arms, knuckles, engine cage, crossover steering, bed cage, 8 shocks, axles, constant velocity joints, drive shafts, gears, chain, bushings, ball joints, rod-ends, bolts, gas and wire will blow your mind bro. if you don't plan on doing 140 in the air through some crazy ass bumps, and just want to be able to go through some mud or up a good trail, don't waste your cash. Gas is a motherfu - yeah.

edit- Speakin of gas - Anyone get a still going and run alcy in their 350s? :hmm:

3linkedchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want long travel, do it, but not with your current truck. Get something like a Ranger or even an older Tacoma. The cost to build is incredibly cheaper as opposed to a fullsize, especially a 4wd. I have a '99 Z71, cranked torsions and some replacement Bilsteins. As long as you know the trucks limitations you can still have a blast in it.

Sparg93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, Chevy is going to release a new HD to compete with the Raptor...but that's tough on a light bank account.