4l80e doesnt shift up after downshifting to pass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahansel1229

Reaction score
I got a 4l80e in my 1992 c2500 and whenever the truck downshifts out of overdrive to pass it will not go back in and if I let off the throttle it will drop to idle speed will going 55-60 mph. I then have to rev the truck up and catch up to the speed of the transmission before it starts to speed up anymore. I'm not sure if it's related but the truck also has a super low idle in gear it drops to about 450 or so and when hot 250 and stalls sometimes.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How old is the fluid and filter? Fluid level correct?

SOMETHING or (more likely) several "somethings" in that truck are unhappy. Verify fuel pressure, connect a scan tool to find out what the computer is trying to tell you about the idle speed and the trans shifting.

Wouldn't hurt to inspect/replace plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, etc.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
probably low AFL oil signal. i would remove valve body and get it vacuum tested. most likely the AFL valve bore will need to be reamed and valve replaced. Transgo makes a kit, check around with local transmission shops they can probably do for you.

ahansel1229

Reaction score
Plugs, wires, cap and rotor fuel filter o2 sensor map sensor tps egr and controller iac the coolent temp sensor for the computer vacume lines have all been replaced. How much does a test like that run usually?

Westieterrier

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi Ahansel, I have a similar problem w. my '99 2wd C2500 under the heavy load of my truck camper when passing on steep hills. The truck shifts into some sort of safe mode. It only did this w. the TC in the bed and on steep hills. Pulling over to stop/start again always reset it back to normal (big pain in the a$$, though).

I changed the tranny oil and filter to no avail. I posted here and was told to bring it to a shop that had a good scanner, which I did. Turns out engine codes (P0130s and P0150s) showed bad O2 sensors and the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF). There were no 700s codes to indicate a problem with my 4L80E, only the emission stuff codes above. My grizzled old tech said he was sure that was the problem (didn't even charge me!). Man, everything is interconnected with these trucks! But I digress . . . .

I have replaced the O2 sensors (mine has 4, arrggh!) and am waiting for the GM MAF to arrive. It's already running better and I can't seem to replicate the problem with the bed empty despite REALLY trying. Once I replace the MAF and re-load my 4,000 lb. TC, I will update my post.

Keep us posted on how yours turns out too. Thanks! P

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1992 doesn't have a MAF sensor and codes are more limited for OBD1 vehicles (1995 and pervious). while the trans does have a limp home mode it is only activated when power is lost to the transmission.

Sabinoerc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would agree with above that more than one thing going on. I have not clue on transmission, I’ve noticed tayto is one of the go to on forum for that topic.
That said, I don’t think a bad tranny would cause idle problems but messed up fuel pressure, tps, engine running can cause shifting problems. I had bad fuel pressure once which was causing low idle, studder, etc and that was also cause of hard and late shifts. Fixed the fuel pressure, engine ran well and shifting problems went away. I don’t know for sure why but think fuel pressure was so low I had to put on more throttle than normal for the speed and it put pcm in cell where pcm thought I was trying to accelerate and was controlling trans as if I were.

I think I’d get engine to run correctly first as easier (at least for me) than getting into transmission. After engine runs well, it may be easier to figure out trans problems.