4l80e doesnt shift up after downshifting to pass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ahansel1229

Reaction score
I'm not sure if it is supposed to have one but I found out my engine wasn't grounded to the chassis/battery. Does it need to be grounded to run correctly?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if it is supposed to have one but I found out my engine wasn't grounded to the chassis/battery. Does it need to be grounded to run correctly?
If it wasn't grounded, the starter motor wouldn't spin.

The chassis is grounded to the engine, not the other way around.

ahansel1229

Reaction score
I was checking the grounds on the thermostat and I wasn't getting anything connection wise. I think that may have fixed my problem it does run better I think I just haven't had a chance to get it out on the highway yet

Sabinoerc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was checking the grounds on the thermostat and I wasn't getting anything connection wise. I think that may have fixed my problem it does run better I think I just haven't had a chance to get it out on the highway yet
There are something like 3 grounds. good idea to find and clean/check all of them. I think the ground at thermostat is for PCM so if not good could cause problems.

ahansel1229

Reaction score
I think those grounds where my problem I have had no issues since adding a ground directly too the thermostat stud with the other grounds. Transmission shifting smooth again and no issues downshifting anymore