4l60e question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

filluph

Reaction score
My truck is a 94 Chevrolet k5 blazer. My question is: is it normal for the transmission to have delayed shifting when the engines hot. Shifts normal when the engine temp is around 170 but after sitting in hot weather with AC the engine can get around 210 and thats when I notice the delayed shifting. After moving the vehicle temp goes back down to normal and shifting returns to normal as well. I have checked transmission fluid and was at correct level. I guess what my main questions are: is this normal?and if not what could be causing it.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
I thought the operating temp on these trucks was 100* C, just something I read a while back..

94 TBI stayed at 70* C, fluctuated up and down slightly. Had pinhole rad leak
97 Vortec stays around 75-80.. fluctuates up and down. Pin hole leak in AC rad? I believe.. Never had AC before so seeing two radiators tripped me out...

filluph

Reaction score
I don't know but I was thinking of getting your truck to run cooler.

It normally doesn't get up to 210 unless sitting for a while with ac on (noticed it while sitting at drive thru yesterday, it was about 99 outside at the time where I'm at). It cooled down once I started moving so maybe radiator fan is not moving enough air. 210 is exactly halfway up my temp gage though so don't think it was getting too hot. also my s-10 seems to get around that temp all the time. One other thing I noticed that might be related is the AC went into recirculate mode on its own. I read in the trucks owner manual that it can do that sometimes but forgot the reason given - I think it was to high pressure in system or something. Can the engine getting that hot cause it to lose power and thereby delay the shifting?

filluph

Reaction score
I thought the operating temp on these trucks was 100* C, just something I read a while back..

94 TBI stayed at 70* C, fluctuated up and down slightly. Had pinhole rad leak
97 Vortec stays around 75-80.. fluctuates up and down. Pin hole leak in AC rad? I believe.. Never had AC before so seeing two radiators tripped me out...

the truck normally operates at 170 f which is 70 c. It can get up to 210 f with ac on idling in hot weather. 210 f is about 100 c. just recently fixed a cooling system leak so know it not that.