4l60e gurus help please!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kglazier

Reaction score
So last Thursday I let a buddy borrow my 95 suburban to go get some tires and I got the phone call everyone hates! My trans won't shift out of second. I immediately pulled it in the garage and pulled the pan he said there was no noise and my fluid looks good so I changed the filter and put a bottleof Lucas and valvaline full synthetic ATF took it for a test drive but only have 1-2 and 3 if I manually shift into 2nd on the column( if that makes sense) no overdrive and TC won't lock in third. Also I have never had any slipping at all I dont know whether I'm losing pressure or a shift solenoid or servo o-ring is bad

Dszx13

ragged out Z71
Reaction score
Mine did the same in my 93. 35s with 3.42 gears is a no no lol. No sure if it's the same situation as mine but figured I'd input. Mine also showed no sign of slipping. Had the lift an tires on for about a year an half the. It crapped out lol

Sent from my Ragged Out Z71

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the trans simply isn't shifting into 3rd and 4th gear by itself, then you probably have an electrical issue, possibly a failed or failing TPS or VSS. Failed hard parts or a burnt direct clutch would still allow the trans to shift into 3rd or overdrive, it would just slip or make horrible sounds when it happened.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Is the speedometer working? ABS light on? If so it maybe the rear wheel speed sensor. Are there any DTC's?

Kglazier

Reaction score
I am only running 285s the 35s came off after three days the abs light is on and the only codes I have are knock sensor and egr which I don't have I do think the TPS may be failing because I get an occasional dead spot in the throttle and yes the speedo works

Also I didn't think I had a rear wheel speed sensor where would it be located?

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
The rear wheel speed sensor is on the top of the transfer case close to the output shaft.

Kglazier

Reaction score
That's the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) if that was bad the speedo would not work and it would stay in first gear only

Last edited:

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
That's the vehicle speed sensor (VSS) if that was bad the speedo would not work and it would stay in first gear only

Im sorry, you are correct, it was late and i wasn't really feeling good. It is the VSS. I just put one on my uncles truck. His would shift into 2nd but his speedo wasn't working.

Kglazier

Reaction score
I just found out that if I am in od when my trans goes to hit third it just revs to the moon and if I let off the skinny it acts like it is in nuetral and when I am in L2 it acts normal like If I were to downshift

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Direct clutches are toast. Time for a rebuild.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk