4L60E 1997 5.7 Chevy 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
My truck runs and shifts fine, but when it shift to OD you can hear what sounds like a loud rear end whine. You can left off gas and it goes away, start at about 50, ease back in and you can hear it start again. When whining you can give it more gas or pull it in D and it will go away, leaving only the slight rear end whine. Is this something that will require a complete rebuild? Need truck for a 2k mile trip next month and I am not sure what to do.

NorCalMike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is it possible that you just don't hear it when you put it in 3rd or give it more gas because of exhaust noise? Just seems weird that it would only happen around one speed.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
That is just when it starts, exhaust has no leaks. Not really speed, it is when it shift in to OD that you start hearing. Usually starts around 50 because that's when it shift to OD. Thanks for the quick reply, calling shops to see about what it is going to run. The shop with the best reputation around said if they pull and put everything new including torque convert it will be 1800.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's not a bad price for a 4L60E rebuild IMO. Mine was $2200-ish but it was fancier than stock. I'm no mechanic but I'd guess that's what you're going to need to do.

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
That's not a bad price for a 4L60E rebuild IMO. Mine was $2200-ish but it was fancier than stock. I'm no mechanic but I'd guess that's what you're going to need to do.

Yeah, they want me to bring it in to let them drive it. I would rather pay 1800 and let them do it since I trust them than 900 for someone just to put the parts they think are bad in it.