454 vortec ,0411 swap, low idle,,,,

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

300stw

Reaction score
after the swap, the idle is low a lextech tune installed i got the kit from him, havent done a crank relearn, idles 600 or so in gear, drop it in gear and it dies

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, absolutely check your fuses. Especially if it smells like it's running rich.

Idle should improve. You'll likely have to crank it a second with your foot to the floor to clear the cylinders of any gas and start fresh... Or it'll idle like absolute crap when you try to crank it up again and you might misinterpret that.

300stw

Reaction score
only for crank relearn been thru wiring 3x, my son has had the truck for 6months and i just got it back,,,the egr valve is unhooked from electrical, plug it in it kills motor, egr was supposed deleted in tune,,, i was afraid to do this swap not having a tuner anywhere close, but the kid did it anyway

Hutchinson

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I did the 0411 swap, it didn’t run right till I did the crank relearn. I bought HPTuners and did it myself. If you don’t have HPTuners, you’ll have to get a dealership to do it - roughly $100.

I then did:
Base idle relearn

Bring engine to operating temp in park with AC off
Then turn AC on
Then turn the AC off
Then put truck in drive and turn AC on
That's it

I got the above off another website somewhere,....between the two, it idled out,,...don’t know which one worked,,...been many moons and many brown bottles between.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is the '97 EGR wiring the same for '96? As per Lextech's instructions the EGR needs a different power source to function correctly.

I would definitely cough up for HPTuners, I haven't yet and I really need to. I got lucky being able to have @Mangonesailor and @Christian Steffen pitch in and help me get mine back running right.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
only for crank relearn been thru wiring 3x, my son has had the truck for 6months and i just got it back,,,the egr valve is unhooked from electrical, plug it in it kills motor, egr was supposed deleted in tune,,, i was afraid to do this swap not having a tuner anywhere close, but the kid did it anyway
Have you checked your fuses yet?

Odd that plugging up the EGR makes it die. I think I've heard of that before. I'll search the internet on that one.

Edit: Found it, at the very bottom of the page: http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/12200411.html

From the spreadsheet: 6.If you are keeping the EGR installed and plugged in, you need to cut the PINK wire at the EGR connector and tuck that wire back into the harness---THE PINK WIRE WILL NOT BE USED. Run a wire from the short/cut Pink wire at the EGR connector directly to the 0411 connector C2 pin 7

Basically cut the pink wire at the EGR valve and tape up the "Harness side" of the cut wire. The valve side needs to be wired up to C2 Pin 7. I think 18ga was the size wire I used for that. I soldered it on to a pinned wire I got from a junk yard and soldered it to the pink wire at the EGR valve.

Last edited:

300stw

Reaction score
i checked fuses not burnt, the wiring plug on the egr valve is unplugged, been that way since i got the truck back, and my kid cant find the wiring instructions i got from lextech,,,,, ergh,,,,