0411 swap L29, now no idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ideally MAF from the platform (airbox) that the truck is, but all of the reference points are likely different.
The stock l31 express van files I have looked at are the same exact MAF curve as l29.

No need to fail a MAF to tune SD with EFILive, tune VE and MAF from the same log.
I think you can do that in HP too, but for a noob it's easier to handle just one thing at a time. If only speed density you can see the response to the changes you made to the VE, then after that, with -5 to 0%, MAF back on, if more adjustments is needed, you know it's all in the MAF curve.

Wheeler454

Reaction score
How do I go about getting the stock BB tune file, I might of screwed up, I went to the 0411 swap first. I didn't get anything off the original black box first. Did I screw up there? I did have my 0411 pre tuned to ballpark setting by Lextech. Figured this would be close. It does start up, just not 100 percent.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The stock l31 express van files I have looked at are the same exact MAF curve as l29.

I think you can do that in HP too, but for a noob it's easier to handle just one thing at a time. If only speed density you can see the response to the changes you made to the VE, then after that, with -5 to 0%, MAF back on, if more adjustments is needed, you know it's all in the MAF curve.
Are you looking at black box vans or 0411 vans. In 2001 they changed the airbox on the vans and revised the MAF table. I had to put my 97s stock MAF curve into the 0411 to get it to run well.

Then again MAF will almost always need adjustment to it regardless. It is generally closer than the VE tables on modified stuff, but will still need to be corrected.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How do I go about getting the stock BB tune file, I might of screwed up, I went to the 0411 swap first. I didn't get anything off the original black box first. Did I screw up there? I did have my 0411 pre tuned to ballpark setting by Lextech. Figured this would be close. It does start up, just not 100 percent.
I have a stock black box tune from a 2000 7.4, in HPTuners format, if you need it. You shouldn’t need it though.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Are you looking at black box vans or 0411 vans. In 2001 they changed the airbox on the vans and revised the MAF table. I had to put my 97s stock MAF curve into the 0411 to get it to run well.

Then again MAF will almost always need adjustment to it regardless. It is generally closer than the VE tables on modified stuff, but will still need to be corrected.

This. The black box 454 truck tune and the 350 411 van tune had different MAF curves. 350 411 MAF was pretty close, enough that my truck ran well, but they were NOT identical. They were appreciably different. Like L31 pointed out, the discrepancies will be more significant in the VE tables as airflow is airflow.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
0411, reference points were a little different, but if you plot it out, same data in the same place.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
0411, reference points were a little different, but if you plot it out, same data in the same place.
The two I compared directly against each other had different MAF curves. I was not comparing a 454 though. Just a 1997 Van to a 2002 Van.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The two I compared directly against each other had different MAF curves. I was not comparing a 454 though. Just a 1997 Van to a 2002 Van.
The two I compared where my stock 98 l29 black box, and the first 0411 express van 5.7 2156os bin from the gearhead site on the 2002 year bins.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The two I compared where my stock 98 l29 black box, and the first 0411 express van 5.7 2156os bin from the gearhead site on the 2002 yeah bins.

That is possible, the older air box on the van had a bit of a trumpet into the stock MAF where the later air box has esentially a round filter with the MAF in the same position relative to the air box as a CK truck. The 01-02 vans also use the same MAF curve regardless if it is a 305, 350 or 8.1L.

I know I swapped the stock 01-02 MAF curve back into my PCM when I put the 01-02 air box on my 97. My current MAF curve is almost identical to a Lingenfelter 100mm curve which is very similar to the 525 HP LS3 GM crate engine curve. The error was mostly single digits when I tweaked the MAF curve with wideband data.

Wheeler454

Reaction score
Being that I am completely new to tuning, I'm getting a little lost with all the tables and which way to go. Going to do a lot more videos and more reading and take it slow. For right now the front end of the truck took over for me. Once it's back on 4 wheels then we shall tweak the tune. But one question I had is on some of the tables, the inside the graph numbers are way different then most of the tunes I see. But the 3d graph looks close. Does that matter?