0411 swap L29, now no idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure the EGR is either not hooked up or you went through the extra asspain to get it right. It's not just pin and play. You'll be chasing your tail otherwise. Also VE only states how much air is ingested at a given RPM/MAP per stroke, so taking an 8.1 VE table and cutting it by the difference in displacement between that and a 454 is not the right thing to do. I started by pasting in a stock 454 VE map myself from a 98-00 blackbox.
When I went that route with the black box table I could not get it to idle…
On the EGR do I just need to unplug the valve and turn it all off in the system, check codes and activation?

I know it’s just a base starting point, still need to get it tuned, but it is now running and driving.

Oh and I have an ABS code, assuming it’s something related on the speedometer calibration settings. Didn’t get any time to chase it, any pointers there? I copied the data from the black box tune on that one-

Kind of ancient at this point but here’s the guide I’m planning to use

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When I went that route with the black box table I could not get it to idle…
On the EGR do I just need to unplug the valve and turn it all off in the system, check codes and activation?

I know it’s just a base starting point, still need to get it tuned, but it is now running and driving.

Oh and I have an ABS code, assuming it’s something related on the speedometer calibration settings. Didn’t get any time to chase it, any pointers there? I copied the data from the black box tune on that one-

Kind of ancient at this point but here’s the guide I’m planning to use

You can start by just unplugging the EGR. My truck ran perfect off of the blackbox VE table with the displacement corrected and a couple other items that escape me. I really didn't do much, hell I have yet to even look at startup and idle. I left the MAF alone initially but have since tuned that.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can start by just unplugging the EGR. My truck ran perfect off of the blackbox VE table with the displacement corrected and a couple other items that escape me. I really didn't do much, hell I have yet to even look at startup and idle. I left the MAF alone initially but have since tuned that.

I suggest he put the 454 MAF table in place, because the vans factory airbox does wonky things to the MAF reading even though it shares the same MAF. First thing I do even on the small block trucks and LT1s I have tuned with the 0411. I personally like the newer 85mm truck MAF or the 4" LS3 setup. With the 85mm MAF I noticed that the L31 MAF calibration used in the Mexican L31s is within 1% of a LS or 4.3L MAF curve too. Those use the same airbox and MAF so it makes sense. Only really need to change the MAF calibration if you move the MAF or change the filter setup.

My 8.1L Tahoe has a stock 01-02 3500 HD air box with 4" intake ducting. I went from the 8.1L van MAF calibration to the 01-02 3500 HD MAF settings and it was nearly spot on. The 3500HDs used a later model 6.5L air box with an 85mm MAF. Then I moved to a 4" LS3 setup on it. The LS3 MAF calibration started out from a GM 525 hp LS3.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I suggest he put the 454 MAF table in place, because the vans factory airbox does wonky things to the MAF reading even though it shares the same MAF. First thing I do even on the small block trucks and LT1s I have tuned with the 0411. I personally like the newer 85mm truck MAF or the 4" LS3 setup. With the 85mm MAF I noticed that the L31 MAF calibration used in the Mexican L31s is within 1% of a LS or 4.3L MAF curve too. Those use the same airbox and MAF so it makes sense. Only really need to change the MAF calibration if you move the MAF or change the filter setup.

My 8.1L Tahoe has a stock 01-02 3500 HD air box with 4" intake ducting. I went from the 8.1L van MAF calibration to the 01-02 3500 HD MAF settings and it was nearly spot on. The 3500HDs used a later model 6.5L air box with an 85mm MAF. Then I moved to a 4" LS3 setup on it. The LS3 MAF calibration started out from a GM 525 hp LS3.

Unfortunately the MAF didn't translate over for me, none of the cells matched up. But you're right, the MAF matches an intake setup not an engine.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Imported the MAF calibration and noticed a marked improvement on startup and throttle response.
Spent a bunch of time screwing around getting the speedometer accurate, had to finally throw tire diameter out the window and just calculate to adjust how far off it was. Voila, speedo now reads correct (it didn't even before the swap) and ABS light is gone.
Unhooked the EGR and turned off the codes as well.

I think everything is good now for the "baseline", so I'm ready to actually start tuning the thing.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unfortunately the MAF didn't translate over for me, none of the cells matched up. But you're right, the MAF matches an intake setup not an engine.
They should match close enough. The LS3 only had about 8 points that matched. The rest were off maybe 10-20 hz. I put the ones in place that matched, interpolated between and let it rip. I did an Excel graph of frequency vs airflow for both. They laid nearly exactly over each other.

Wheeler454

Reaction score
I have a 97 k2500 suburban with L29 and 480lE. I did the 0411 swap and it starts on idles ok. Seems a little low and rich. Anyone mind share a base tune file for this setup. I know that this is something that is not likely to be share, but I'm a newbie with HPTuners. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 97 k2500 suburban with L29 and 480lE. I did the 0411 swap and it starts on idles ok. Seems a little low and rich. Anyone mind share a base tune file for this setup. I know that this is something that is not likely to be share, but I'm a newbie with HPTuners. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
IMHO,
Start with A stock express van 5.7 tune from the repository,
Disable Vats, change cylinder size, set speedometer calibration, make sure your injector settings match injectors, if using 5.0 injectors, copy settings from a black box tune, l31 might be close enough, if using ls injectors, then copy settings from a stock file with the same injectors, then fail the MAF for speed density and tune the VE table, turn maF back on

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
IMHO,
Start with A stock express van 5.7 tune from the repository,
Disable Vats, change cylinder size, set speedometer calibration, make sure your injector settings match injectors, if using 5.0 injectors, copy settings from a black box tune, l31 might be close enough, if using ls injectors, then copy settings from a stock file with the same injectors, then fail the MAF for speed density and tune the VE table, turn maF back on

No need to fail a MAF to tune SD with EFILive, tune VE and MAF from the same log. Not sure about the others. I would add start with VE from the 454 and desired idle airflow from an 8.1. Ideally MAF from the platform (airbox) that the truck is, but all of the reference points are likely different.