0411 swap L29, now no idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hiya,
I finally got around to doing my 0411 swap. It went pretty well overall but I have a few kinks to work out.
It's late in the day and I'm calling it, but I'll be back at it tomorrow, I pretty much wanted some direction on a no idle. At initial fire-up it idled fine, until reaching about 150*F coolant temp. After that it would not idle.
I have NOT done the crank re-learn yet. That is on my to-do first thing, but am not sure if it or isn't related to idle issue. I don't have a check engine light, and there is a transmission position sensor stored code.
I am running basically a STOCK 2002 express van 5.7 tune with an adjusted VE table and an 8.1 spark table. I pretty much followed LT's youtube instructions.
Is my idle a crank relearn issue? Or something else?
Any help appreciated,

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hiya,
I finally got around to doing my 0411 swap. It went pretty well overall but I have a few kinks to work out.
It's late in the day and I'm calling it, but I'll be back at it tomorrow, I pretty much wanted some direction on a no idle. At initial fire-up it idled fine, until reaching about 150*F coolant temp. After that it would not idle.
I have NOT done the crank re-learn yet. That is on my to-do first thing, but am not sure if it or isn't related to idle issue. I don't have a check engine light, and there is a transmission position sensor stored code.
I am running basically a STOCK 2002 express van 5.7 tune with an adjusted VE table and an 8.1 spark table. I pretty much followed LT's youtube instructions.
Is my idle a crank relearn issue? Or something else?
Any help appreciated,
Something else. Copy over the idle airflow base table too.

For the transmission range sensor need to set range switch type to None.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I did my 0411 swap my truck idled like dog **** but ran fine; what it wound up being was a blown Eng-1 fuse for the MAF sensor. Maybe check that?

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
funny story... while doing the crank relearn my water pump cracked in half. replacing that and the belt/tensioner etc and getting rid of the AIR pump. so haven't had a chance to test again yet. maybe this weekend.

anyone have a good tune they wouldn't mind sharing with me to compare? I'm on HP tuners..

Reluctanse

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Problem solved. I started building the L31 tune from scratch, this time used the 8.1 VE table (multiplied all cells by .925 to correct for engine size). Basically just the VE table and spark table - also from the 8.1, unmodified, and we are up and running! There's a few things to tweak but I have a baseline now.

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Problem solved. I started building the L31 tune from scratch, this time used the 8.1 VE table (multiplied all cells by .925 to correct for engine size). Basically just the VE table and spark table - also from the 8.1, unmodified, and we are up and running! There's a few things to tweak but I have a baseline now.
Are you sure that's the math you used? Multiplying a number by less than 1 makes the number smaller...

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure the EGR is either not hooked up or you went through the extra asspain to get it right. It's not just pin and play. You'll be chasing your tail otherwise. Also VE only states how much air is ingested at a given RPM/MAP per stroke, so taking an 8.1 VE table and cutting it by the difference in displacement between that and a 454 is not the right thing to do. I started by pasting in a stock 454 VE map myself from a 98-00 blackbox.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Make sure the EGR is either not hooked up or you went through the extra asspain to get it right. It's not just pin and play. You'll be chasing your tail otherwise. Also VE only states how much air is ingested at a given RPM/MAP per stroke, so taking an 8.1 VE table and cutting it by the difference in displacement between that and a 454 is not the right thing to do. I started by pasting in a stock 454 VE map myself from a 98-00 blackbox.
^^^

Set the cylinder volume, injector data and MAF curve for the 454. The 8.1 VE and Timing tables should get it running as they are and tune from there.