4.3 TBI timing marks on the Balancer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Apache59

Reaction score
'94 K1500

I'm seeing 2 timing marks on my balancer. I saw a youtube video calling attention to this and advising to use the second or trailing mark(as you turn the crank clockwise) to set your timing and to find TDC. Didn't see this mentioned in my Haynes manual

Is this correct?

Apache59

Reaction score
....and while I'm at it.....the sticker on my fan shroud is calling for 0* BTDC.....are any of you guys adding some timing like 4*-8* BTDC and getting favorable results like I am.

Apache59

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just asking the wrong question to all you experienced GMT owners. Maybe this is more your speed.

What color floor mats best compliments my hair

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
If you can go 8* without it running hot, something is wrong. 1*-2* advance is all i have ever been able to get away with. I don't have a clue about 2 timing marks, don't guess i have ever seen this on a chevy. Never had to mess with my 4.3. it just always runs lol

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just asking the wrong question to all you experienced GMT owners. Maybe this is more your speed.

What color floor mats best compliments my hair
Perhaps we aren't experienced with the 4.3 and we don't feel like blowing smoke up your butt? If you were a V8 I would tell you that I don't recall 2 marks and usually 4 degrees is the best I can get.

Apache59

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses and excuse sarcasm/surly remark.....just running impatient. I'm thinking now, after having rechecked the timing today that my balancer must have slipped. setting my timing to zero causes my truck to stall....advancing it completely off the timing tab by about an inch gives me the best vacuum....at about 19".....runs and sounds great here as well. And yes I disconnected the EST wire before getting a reading. And there it shall stay for now.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for your responses and excuse sarcasm/surly remark.....just running impatient.
It takes a real man to admit and be humble. Your excused. Excellent diagnosis. Thinking back I do recall seeing 2 marks on other vehicles. One was for a standard timing light and the other was for a magnetic pick-up. The magnetic one has a small tube near the ballancer and it was the largest one.