Timing mark unreadable.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So....

I tried firing up the 89 4.3L last night to move it into the garage... and start my next stroke-inducing project. Negative. Cranks and cranks and cranks but no start. I'm not going into detail of all of the new parts I've thrown at this (due to age, rust, obvious bad parts...), but let's say I can smell fuel and the plugs are fouled, yet I can see a yellow spark at the #1 spark plug, if I take it out of the cylinder and lay it against the block.

I was messing with the timing the other day, BEFORE THE NO START CONDITION, trying to advance it a degree or two, to get more pep out of the engine. Well, that's easy to do when it already runs. IT STARTED AND RAN WHEN I WAS DONE TINKERING. Haven't touched it since... Now it just cranks lol.

So here's my question: See the attached pic? Where is the 0° mark supposed to be on the timing cover? It's obviously too pitted for me to make out any marks. You all should ignore the mark on the harmonic balancer, as I just hit the key few times to get the mark close.

Again, where is 0°? Thanks in advance.

You must be registered for see images attach

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found the cause of the no start, but not the reason behind the cause. It's not getting fuel. I sprayed fuel down the throttle body and it fired right up for 2, maybe 3 seconds. Then nothing. That ENTIRE fuel system is brand new. The pump, the lines, the filter, the tank... everything.

My hearts not in this today, but I need to get this thing running. What all would you gents check first? I tried to check for hearing the pump prime when turning the key. Inconclusive as the door chime is really loud for some reason lol.

Checking fuel pressure on these trucks seems to be a real PITA, so that's not in the cards at this exact moment. Seems we need a special adapter?

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found the cause of the no start, but not the reason behind the cause. It's not getting fuel. I sprayed fuel down the throttle body and it fired right up for 2, maybe 3 seconds. Then nothing. That ENTIRE fuel system is brand new. The pump, the lines, the filter, the tank... everything.

My hearts not in this today, but I need to get this thing running. What all would you gents check first? I tried to check for hearing the pump prime when turning the key. Inconclusive as the door chime is really loud for some reason lol.

Checking fuel pressure on these trucks seems to be a real PITA, so that's not in the cards at this exact moment. Seems we need a special adapter?
Disconnect the fuel line into the throttle body and stick it in a bottle. Turn key on. If the pump is turning on you'll know real quick.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, something like this. With the bleeder valve you can let fuel go while you're cranking to see if the pump is strong enough to maintain pressure too. Once you install the Schrader valve adapter, you can check it anytime you want to.

Or, you can install one permanently with an AFPR

Here I'm running 20 PSI with an 18LB spring

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LOL just for the amusement factor, I'm going to go try that right now.
Fuel pump is either dead, or it's not getting power. There's no fuel spraying out of either line.

This is a major P!SS me off, because that fuel pump is brand effing new. There's gotta be less than 25 miles on it. The bigger crap: if I want to access the wiring to pump, the bed has to be lifted at least 6 inches. I'm NOT cutting a hole in that bed.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that fuel pump is brand effing new
It could be either wiring or, the hose connecting the fuel pump to the sender pressure tube or, a defective pump or, a plugged fuel filter/line. Maybe disconnect the fuel line to the inlet of the filter and see if you get any fuel there.

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know everyone got a kick out of the "stick the hose in a bottle" comment, but.... its quick, easy, and requires no special tools.

Now that that is done, don't go trying to pull the bed yet. Check voltage at the relay first. Quick and easy again is to just swap the fuel pump relay with a known good one right next to it. If that doesn't change anything, check the fuse. If that still doesn't solve anything, then you need to start thinking about the pump. Its almost unthinkable that a filter could be clogged enough to have zero fuel flow if you just replaced everything.