timing question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

demps101

Reaction score
just put a new timing set distributer and full tune up on my 98 5.7. Timing marks are lined up and rotor points directly at cyl 1 on the cap. I couldnt get it to start. it was acting like it was out time. i quadruple checked everything. still couldnt figure it out. Knowing it was set exactly how its supposed to be but acting like it was 180degrees out. I went ahead and turned the distributer 180. Crazy enough she fired right up and purred like a kitten. Can somebody explain this? I talked to some other mechanics and said they had run into the same thing before. NObody had a reason tho. Any answers would be great. This is nagging at me and i just need to know the why

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Crankshaft turns 2x for every turn of the camshaft and thus distributor. Timing marks on the balancer could align to TDC #1 or in your case TDC #6. Common mistake for novice engine builders too. They line the chain up dot to dot and drop the distributor in on #1 then proceed to make fireballs. Dots on the timing set line up, TDC#6, both at the top TDC#1.

demps101

Reaction score
I've got to do this on another engine I've got this week. Its a used motor i'm dropping into another truck of mine. I dont want to make the same mistake again. This motor is sitting on my shop floor and I'd like to have all this done before I go and put it in.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
I've got to do this on another engine I've got this week. Its a used motor i'm dropping into another truck of mine. I dont want to make the same mistake again. This motor is sitting on my shop floor and I'd like to have all this done before I go and put it in.
Gotcha I was just throwing in my 2 cents. Good luck!!!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pull a valve cover and look at the rocker arms.