3rd brake light for SUV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Is yours mounted on top like mine or built in just above the topper door? I know ut took me awhile to figure out a Suburban one might work lol!
It's recessed above the window. I'd be filling in that area if I did something like this.

You must be registered for see images attach

Eh, you can kinda see it there... I don't have many pics of it.

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's recessed above the window. I'd be filling in that area if I did something like this.

I kind of figure my topper was made not long after trucks started having the 3rd brake light and this was a quick fix by Leer to add it. Then when they started redesigning the toppers they went with the built in one like you have and pretty much any other topper made today.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine spending money for something so useless.

There was a time when either the NHTSA or the Federal DOT listed a study on the web site that showed that HMSL had no effect at all on safety. Of course, that study was scrubbed years ago because telling the truth isn't Politically Correct.

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't imagine spending money for something so useless.

There was a time when either the NHTSA or the Federal DOT listed a study on the web site that showed that HMSL had no effect at all on safety. Of course, that study was scrubbed years ago because telling the truth isn't Politically Correct.

I agree but I'm also very OCD about having every single light work on my vehicle's, always have, and on this truck that was the only one that I hadn't fixed yet lol! I've blown $20 on a lot of dumber things in my life anyway so this isn't that bad.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 3rd brake lights do work better at getting people's attention when you jam on your brakes, but the problem is not the lights, it's the distracted drivers who aren't looking at the road in front of them in the first place. Now people are putting strobing brake lights on their vehicles and I'm wondering how long it is until they make that a mandate. Ugh.

If we don't start training drivers better then end result will be mandatory self-driving cars.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The 3rd brake lights do work better at getting people's attention when you jam on your brakes, but the problem is not the lights, it's the distracted drivers who aren't looking at the road in front of them in the first place. Now people are putting strobing brake lights on their vehicles and I'm wondering how long it is until they make that a mandate. Ugh.

If we don't start training drivers better then end result
Yes if distracted driving is an issue in Oklahoma, you can imagine how it is in Houston! And the even worse problems, what mom and I see on the road, are the self centered idiots that absolutely have to get ahead of you,even if it means running a light, and the sorry state of the street lights and pavement on so many of our streets.

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wanted to post an update. Although this was a cheapy Ebay light it's still working and looking good after a few months of crappy cold northern Indiana weather lol!