305 in the 305..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that is a reason and have funding keep swapping the whole thing. I had a case of a clogged catalytic converter on a 84 datsun wagon that promptly turned in to a 5.3 swap.
One of my pals had a b210 in Highschool and I am pretty sure he exceeded design parameters on a fairly regular basis :)
shortly after high school, a guy I worked for bought a geo metro off his neighbour. I guess it had been running poorly so they did a timing belt and that didn't fix it so they ripped the cylinder head off, put all the parts in the trunk and let it sit for 2-3 years. we took the head in to get checked (no major issues, but plained it and new valve seals) and put it back together. still ran like crap. long story short it had a plugged cat.
Brutal

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
But it doesnt really, if built right. We've done beat this horse.
Yes the 350 absolutely does build more torque. A naturally aspirated 6.0L is not making more torque under 3,500-4,000 rpm than a similarly built 350. It does not happen regardless what some believe. It takes a Gen IV 6.0L with VVT to even come close to the 350 down lower in the RPM range and even it does not make as much grunt as a stock 350.

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have seen a lots of posts on this forum and the internet in general of people getting "advice" on this sort of stuff. it usually leads to people getting in over their head and/or giving up. usually people giving the advice have shops, tools, know how, extra help etc etc. and sometimes aren't realistic with who's on the receiving end of the so called advice. i have bought lots of projects from folks over the years that just didn't have a plan or read it on the internet or got bad advice and usually the simplest solution was just to fix what they started with. 10K is a big budget but you'll go through that in a hurry if you dont have a plan and stick with it especially with this post-covid market insanity we sre currently living in. Remember, more power means transmission work, diff work, etc etc....

sorry about the the "good grief" comment but there is literally an active post with 13 or 14 pages on this sub-board with someone with a very similar dilemma.

PS: the worst thing about this hobby is having a vehicle that doesn't move. having had projects down for weeks/month/years over the last 20 years i've come to realise that splitting a project up into smaller sections where you can still drive it is much more enjoyable and you don't lose interest. some will argue, why fix head gaskets on an engine you'll eventually pull. waste of time, etc. like i said for a few hundred dollars you can fix it enough so when you need an escape you can go drive it. while you are driving it you can put your headers on and get the exhaust done, upgrade the fuel system, maybe start PROM tuning. all while you build up a crate engine in your garage/shed/basement
I get what you are saying i have friends w cars that have been taken apart and quit on. I plan my moves, hoard the parts and try to keep the vehicle functional. I had the truck on jackstands for 2 weeks while i was doing the front suspension and swore i heard banjo music every time i looked at it.. :)

KansasOBS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you - this is why I am here - to gather different perspectives on what is possible and get a feel for the pros and cons. Expertise only comes through actually doing stuff and if I have not actually done something, asking questions seems like a great way to avoid developing excess character. while i heard about LS swaps, I have not researched them to any great degree. what would you say, in your experience is the pros and cons?

No problem. DrunkCank already kind of outlined some of it. Really there is a lot of info on the forum as Tayto mentioned also. I'd say only the real con is the increased labor/cost with the computer swap. I steer you this way, just because in my opinion you'll end up better off in the long run if youre going to be swapping. If you get bored down the line, it's then an easier swap to an aluminum block if you wanted, etc. I aint going to carry on with another LS vs Small Block Groundhog Day, but seek and ye shall find, I suppose. All dependent on your plans, money, and time.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody else got the Miami reference? :cool:

I vote for a 350 or 383. I bet you can find a machine shop that has a handful just sitting on the floor in the back. If you can drop a transmission, you can swap an engine. Especially same for same.

You’ll have money leftover to burn up a bunch of used tires too :burnout:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Add a stroker kit to your 355 you already have on your garage floor. Top it with sone AFR heads and a self tuning Holley EFI.

Nothing wrong with a LS swap, but I do agree that for low rpm torque the 383 would be the way to go.
I went with the Edelbrock self learning because that is what I found as inexpensively as the most basic of those TBI style systems, but it is a true sequential multi point system and controls the ignition timing. I went with the 43.5 psi regulator even because my combination did not need the 58 psi. The injectors are 29 lb/hr and they offer an exchange to 35 lb/hr if they were never opened for like $100. The 350 would need boost to use more than the 29s can flow at 58 psi. As a plus I was able to mount the ECM inside the van under the drivers seat rather than under the hood rather than the ECM boiling on the throttle body itself on top of the engine vibrating it apart.