305 in the 305..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I also have a 305 TBI that I use for random 'truck stuff.' Mine is 93 5-speed K1500 ECSB.

I have thought about swapping to a 355 that I have sitting in my garage already, but the thing is that it runs just fine and mine also needs exhaust. When the time comes to hire a shop to bend up the exhaust I'll need to decide if I want to keep my logs or attempt headers.

I am 50/50 like you but I will probably just keep the logs since like you said its still going to just be a 305. And the shop will then have a warranty on their work and the seals between the logs and their new exhaust.

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For some more advice that you didn't really ask for....put an LS in it.
Thank you - this is why I am here - to gather different perspectives on what is possible and get a feel for the pros and cons. Expertise only comes through actually doing stuff and if I have not actually done something, asking questions seems like a great way to avoid developing excess character. while i heard about LS swaps, I have not researched them to any great degree. what would you say, in your experience is the pros and cons?

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dropping a 300hp motor in there without updating the fuel injection/tuning may not be the smartest thing, but it will still run better than a clapped out 305!
With a healthy budget of 10k, I would find a 350, turn it into a 355 or 383 and run a aftermarket fuel injection. Done.
This is NOT a daily driver - kids drive it to school a couple of miles each way when they feel like it - I have a honda van that they like better (kids today...). I have done the front suspension (darn you lower control arms!), A/C, Brakes, Power Steering, all manner of switches, relays, lights, lenses and have gutted the interior. The fuel system, while i have changed the filter - in my humble opinion is suspect. I mean, its 35 years old. At 35 years old, anything is suspect, I would assume that any major mods would require updates/upgrades to supporting systems in order to get to a reliable vehicle. I am planning to take off the bed, replace the tank and the fuelpump/sender/etc but the tailpipe incident had me thinking "yeah, this part is broker.." i dont require 300 hp, but it would be nice. I am thinking going to a 350 but I am asking questions as I am sure y'all have done all this stuff many times and have ideas about how to do it better so here i am.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a TON of LS swap info out there, on here, YouTube etc. The reason they are so popular is the motors are dirt cheap mostly, the "exotic" ones are pricey. If you stay 4.8 or 5.3, they are cheaper than getting an engine machined and freshened up. You can get any part to make them fit these trucks. Motor mounts, A/C mounted etc. You can buy premade wiring harnesses or do your own, again, LOTS of info on that. But I think the biggest upside is how easy it is to get HP out of them, a simple cam swap and your north of 350hp easy. And you can even slam turbos on them and touch 1000hp. Blow it up, pull it and swap another $500 motor in it.
The hardest part aside from wiring, is replacing the fuel pump for a 95+ one.

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Lots of options. With a 10k budget I would build an economy 383 with ported tbi heads and a mild cam. Long tube headers and duel exhaust and tune the computer or use that one that playing with tbi uses. As long as you don't have to deal with emission testing. Nice motor with good power and lots of torque is the answer on the street

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
repairing a head gasket failure can be done in a day (not including waiting for machine work). while you wait for the head(s) to get machined you can fix your exhaust and the truck has mininal down time. We have no idea what skill level you have, access to tools, access to shop space, means to R&R an engine, if this vehicle is your daily driver, etc, etc. if you don't like getting advice then why did you post? if you want to swap an engine then go do it, there's plenty of recent (and old) posts that cover this...

BTW my advice about removing exhaust bolts is a genuine one learned from experience. i am not afraid of breaking bolts and extracting them, been there done that.
I am happy to take the advice, but i dont take attitude from anybody without providing some fire going the other way. I appreciate what you said about the exhaust bolts but you gotta admit you came on a little strong there. In Order: difficult to assess my own skill level - I have not torn down or rebuilt engines by my lonesome. I am comfortable bolting stuff on and taking stuff off. I have dropped Trannies (Transmissions fellas) and installed Engine components before, have replaced flywheels, alternators, compressors, starters so I am familiar, but not what I would call a veteran mechanic. I have tools and a large tool chest (darn your black heart Harbor Freight!). I have access to an engine lift. I have a 2 car garage a compressor and irritable neighbors. I have an extensive collection of legos that I use to distract myself when my mean old truck makes me cry. Not a daily driver - Truck was foisted upon me by an unscrupulous family member- I like working on it because i am a poor wretched it guy and this truck has no usb ports, windows updates or any other hoo-has that I encounter in my daily life so it is a nice escape.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i have seen a lots of posts on this forum and the internet in general of people getting "advice" on this sort of stuff. it usually leads to people getting in over their head and/or giving up. usually people giving the advice have shops, tools, know how, extra help etc etc. and sometimes aren't realistic with who's on the receiving end of the so called advice. i have bought lots of projects from folks over the years that just didn't have a plan or read it on the internet or got bad advice and usually the simplest solution was just to fix what they started with. 10K is a big budget but you'll go through that in a hurry if you dont have a plan and stick with it especially with this post-covid market insanity we sre currently living in. Remember, more power means transmission work, diff work, etc etc....

sorry about the the "good grief" comment but there is literally an active post with 13 or 14 pages on this sub-board with someone with a very similar dilemma.

PS: the worst thing about this hobby is having a vehicle that doesn't move. having had projects down for weeks/month/years over the last 20 years i've come to realise that splitting a project up into smaller sections where you can still drive it is much more enjoyable and you don't lose interest. some will argue, why fix head gaskets on an engine you'll eventually pull. waste of time, etc. like i said for a few hundred dollars you can fix it enough so when you need an escape you can go drive it. while you are driving it you can put your headers on and get the exhaust done, upgrade the fuel system, maybe start PROM tuning. all while you build up a crate engine in your garage/shed/basement

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With a 10k budget I would build an economy 383 with ported tbi heads and a mild cam.
Maybe not an economy 383 but, a brand new short block (a little bigger cam than mild, ha ha). Throw a couple aluminum heads and you're on your way down that rabbit hole we all love so much :waytogo:

tune the computer or use that one that playing with tbi uses.
Yeah, I've done both but the EBL is way more user friendly. Hell, if I can make it run, anyone can. :rolleyes:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Awesome response JD, you'll fit in just fine in here! lol

And Tayto also had a gentleman response. I understand where your coming from

I agree with Tayto's last response where you should fix what you have first. Especially since its a borrowed truck that high schoolers are going to drive. And its only a 'truck-stuff' truck, not a daily or a 'fun stuff' autocross or similar competition truck.