2wd frame vs 4wd frame?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irfangnosis

Reaction score
I have a C1500 with frame rust at the very front, in front of the steering box. I can cut steel for something this small but I have guy nearby parting a k1500. Is the very front of the frame the same, similar or very different?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on how far a little bit is. You can see it get your tape out and phone camera. Bumper mounts the same right?

89obsSB

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a C1500 with frame rust at the very front, in front of the steering box. I can cut steel for something this small but I have guy nearby parting a k1500. Is the very front of the frame the same, similar or very different?
I’m not 100 percent sure on the gearbox area. I do know the upper control arm mounts are different 2WD on top and 4wd on side of frame.

Irfangnosis

Reaction score
I’m not 100 percent sure on the gearbox area. I do know the upper control arm mounts are different 2WD on top and 4wd on side of frame.

Yeah I really only need from the stearing box forward. . Dunno what would be easier, making plate sections or grafting the front horn on.

Irfangnosis

Reaction score
Depends on how far a little bit is. You can see it get your tape out and phone camera. Bumper mounts the same right?

I can take pics of my frame but the 4x4 frame is 15 miles away and I have to make an appointment to look.
I was hoping sombody here would know before i get out the tools and cut saw and head over.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, that's different. I can wag that the frame horns zero point/ very front tip/ to 12 to 18 inches identical. All mount points same between 2x or 4x. Under the engine area differ coils to torsion bar. Would you believe all 4 of my gm are 4x. Four other neighbors all 4x. Good luck.

JayMB

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Take a look at some SAS threads here and on Pirate4x4, I think Offroad Design has some good pics on their website showing how to put their SAS kit on a 4x2. If I recall correctly, the only difference is that in the last two inches or so, the 4x2 frame has a rounded blunt end to it, while the 4x4 frame is like an open C-channel at the very end so that the recovery hooks can be mounted inside the frame and poke foward through the bumper. I would go take pics of my 4x4 but it is 3/4 ton so it's a bit different.