2002 Silverado Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DixieWASP

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have found what appears to be a nice 2002 regular cab short-bed Silverado for sale. It has a 5.3 V8, two-wheel drive, and automatic transmission. Is 2002 a good year for a 1500 Silverado?

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Cylinder deactivation wasn’t until 2007. 2002 is a great year imo. My family owns an 05 suburban and an 02 silverado and they’re both fantastic.

JS45

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My family has had multiple early year gmt800s and all have been great vehicles 300k plus on most of them and they are still on the road

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My parents have an ‘02 ECSB 4.8/4L60e. The 4.8 was a real great motor, IMO. The original 4L60e died at 307K. Never had been opened up, broke the sun shell.

My friends had 5.3 trucks and they all ran great. ‘02 is a good year for those trucks.

The GMT800 is a nice platform with a lot of aftermarket support.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
GMT800's are the cockroaches of the truck world; they'll probably be here long after we're all gone - thanks mostly to the durability of the early LS engines.

I've got my GMT800 gripes mostly around electrical issues (they're way more complex than any GMT400) and probably more than half of them out there have an eternal CEL due to EVAP issues that are often more difficult to solve than they should be.

They're about as easy to steal as a GMT400 and are still high-theft vehicles to this day; the plastic exterior door handles don't inspire confidence. The thieves just knock the lock out of the handle; some of them just break the handle by forcibly yanking on it. Around Houston where auto theft is out of control, they even steal beat old work trucks. Get a Ravelco antitheft setup, it's about the only thing that will keep it yours.

Anyone living in rust belt areas will tell you the brake lines are made out of fairy dust that dissolves at the first hint of road salt.

They're good trucks.. styling is hit/miss depending on year and your personal tastes, to be sure.

Richard