1998 K2500 Suburban - Power Lock Electrical Gremlin

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eldplanko

Reaction score
Long time reader, first post.

I've got a bit of an electrical gremlin that took up residence in my power lock system. As backrgound, I have the factory keyless entry (AU0 RPO).

The Symptoms:

With the vehicle off and sitting for a while (i.e. overnight), I can open the door, and work the power locks by either the driver or passenger keyswitch, or by the keyfob. If I start the vehicle, after a few seconds, the the power locks (keyswitchs on front doors, or keyfob) stop working and the the swtich system will try to actuate intermittantly (as indicated by a relay clicking sound somewhere in the dash area) and an accompaning lighting of the overhead dome lights. In addition to the intermittant actuating (with relay click and overhead light), I can do the same thing by pressing the lock switch (causes relay to click and overhead light to come on). This symptom will continue untill I shut the ignition off, and let the vehicle sit for some time (15+min or over night, etc).

Here's where it get's interesting...

What I've done:

1. Pulled open the front driver and passenger door panels, disconnected the lock switches; tested as above. Result: No change, same behavior. Reconnected switches.
2. Pulled open the front driver and pannenger interior door panels, disconnected both lock actuators. Result: No change, same behavior. Reconnected both actuators.
3. Pulled lock relay under dash. Result: No change, same behavior. Reconnected relay.

At this point, I'm at a loss on what to check next; I'm thinking eithe the lock control module or the remote control door lock reciever are acting funny. Also, haven't check rear cargo switch.

I have the 4-volume factory service manuals and electrical diagrams, and am pretty handy with things.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

eldplanko

Reaction score
Update, and solved.

Turns out there must have been a short or something in...

The power for the drivers seat (has power moment, tilt/recline and lumbar support... RPO AC9). I unplugged the connector for this one, and everything's back to normal.

Don't ask how I figured this out.