1998 k2500 454 getting hot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

newguyinnc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nope, that definitely doesn't explain it, but just to be a stickler for terminology factory used 1 core and 2 core back in 98. No 3 core.
I'll double check when I get back into my shop in the morning, it may be a 2 core. It's whatever napa has in their system for a 1998 k2500 with 7 .4l. Swapping radiators made zero difference.

newguyinnc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone have a coolant flow diagram that shows the path of how coolant circulates through the block , heads , intake and heater core?

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Nope, that definitely doesn't explain it, but just to be a stickler for terminology factory used 1 core and 2 core back in 98. No 3 core.

I'm pretty sure my original radiator was a 3-core, meaning 3 rows of tubes, and I kinda doubt that was new for 99.

newguyinnc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure my original radiator was a 3-core, meaning 3 rows of tubes, and I kinda doubt that was new for 99.
I'm thinking the same thing. I know my 99 has a 3 core and that may be what cross references at the parts stores for a big block even if the 98 didn't originally come with it.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Alright I'm actually headed toward the dually here in just a few. I'll get some pics because I've never seen a 3 core myself. Sorry for the tangent OP, but it looks like one of us is about to have a learning moment.

newguyinnc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alright I'm actually headed toward the dually here in just a few. I'll get some pics because I've never seen a 3 core myself. Sorry for the tangent OP, but it looks like one of us is about to have a learning moment.
I'm never too old to learn something. ...lol. I'm actually at my mechanics now and my 2000 OBS big block truck is sitting in the parking lot. Just looked and it has two 1" cores.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'd go look at my original radiator, but I'm not going to..... it's buried in the far corner of my garage pinned between the wall studs and my parts shelf which then has a stack of steel wheels in front of it. I'm not sure why I'm keeping it.... for reference, I guess??? :crazy:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Next step is mechanic is taking the ECU out of my other truck and swapping them to see if that's the issue. Computer doesn't seem to be doing what it should with total advance at speed.
Why swap ECUs when you could connect a scan tool and perhaps a timing light to verify spark advance?

Keep in mind that spark advance is controlled by the ECU, but performed by the ignition module. Problems with either--or both, or the wire harness in between--could affect ignition advance.

newguyinnc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why swap ECUs when you could connect a scan tool and perhaps a timing light to verify spark advance?

Keep in mind that spark advance is controlled by the ECU, but performed by the ignition module. Problems with either--or both, or the wire harness in between--could affect ignition advance.
Yea, I suggested to the mechanic that instead of swapping ecu's, we drive the one that runs right and record the advance data off the scanner and compare it to the one that's getting hot. That would explain the lack of power from a brand new motor, but I don't think even running lean would explain the 30° difference between the ECU temp sensor in the intake and the gauge sensor in the head.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So I checked the dually and the exact replacement I have on the shelf and I can't get eyes on how many cores it has with the fins in the way, so I'll simply choose to believe I'm right. :Big Laugh: