1998 K1500 Passenger airbag switch, Please Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wildncrazyguy

Reaction score
Guys. First post here and I don't usually do this, but I'm a member of another forum and getting no answers. Hoping for better luck here. Anyway, this is pretty much a verbatim post from the other site, but really shows what my issue is and why I'm confused. Any help or insight is MUCH appreciated.

Long story short, I broke the tabs off my passenger airbag switch while trying to take the bezel off during a factory stereo replacement. Turns out the switches are no longer made for sale, so I decided to use some tape to hold it in. Did a great job with the tape, but when I put it all back together, I noticed somehow my switch didn't light up properly. It had been showing good before I decided to use the tape (see below), so I took the tape off and connected it back, but it appeared the switch was now broken, at least the lights.

Switch clearly working after replacing the stereo, but tabs broke off due to the bezel issue
You must be registered for see images attach

I bought a switch panel from a 1998 Chevy K2500 on ebay hoping for the best. Cargo Lamp switch and Passenger air bag switch. Keeping fingers crossed...

Well, now I'm more confused than ever. Granted the switches may not work fully as they are out of a vintage truck as mine and 17 or so years old now and who knows if they even worked when he cut them out. Anyway... See below for pics and confusion.

My original airbag switch, ON, no lights, lamp for switch works when truck lights are on.

My original airbag switch, OFF, lights up as expected...

My original airbag switch, OFF, dashboard blank...

Replacement switch, ON, lights up as expected... lamp for switch works when truck lights are on as well.

Replacement switch, OFF, NO LIGHTS!!!

Replacement switch, OFF, Dashboard light on...

Adding to the misery, the replacement cargo lamp switch does not light up when truck lights are on. Maybe it's got a bad bulb as well, but to make sure it DOES have a bulb, if anyone can verify and hopefully post a pic of it on with lights, much appreciated.

Also, no codes as I have a checker. All truck systems operating normal and no codes found. If that matters. Is there anything that makes sense here? Is my computer on the truck crazy? Anyway to reset the airbag switch system so to speak? Or do you think I just have two partially bad switches. Keep looking for a good switch?
Thanks!